Getting Data In

Debugging LINE_BREAKER and TRANSFORMS

mzorzi
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

Are there any DEBUG settings I can enable to get more information on how LINE_BREAKER and TRANSFORMS settings are applied at index-time?

Tags (2)
1 Solution

jrodman
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

The category.regexExtractionProcessor log category should produce errors for some categories of failing to compile the TRANSFORMS regexes. You could turn up its verbosity to get success messages when building them as well. They do not have debug output after the first matching event comes through.

I've generally found it necessary to use a combination of pcretest, test instances/indexes, bogus fields, and careful tests to determine the cause of TRANSFORMS troubles.

Line breaking similarly will produce output saying what conf is loaded for category.LineBreakingProcessor, ie for a given conf/source/sourcetype, it will say what the truncation length is as well as the lookbehind (if these are set).

View solution in original post

jrodman
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

The category.regexExtractionProcessor log category should produce errors for some categories of failing to compile the TRANSFORMS regexes. You could turn up its verbosity to get success messages when building them as well. They do not have debug output after the first matching event comes through.

I've generally found it necessary to use a combination of pcretest, test instances/indexes, bogus fields, and careful tests to determine the cause of TRANSFORMS troubles.

Line breaking similarly will produce output saying what conf is loaded for category.LineBreakingProcessor, ie for a given conf/source/sourcetype, it will say what the truncation length is as well as the lookbehind (if these are set).

Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Stay Connected: Your Guide to May Tech Talks, Office Hours, and Webinars!

Take a look below to explore our upcoming Community Office Hours, Tech Talks, and Webinars this month. This ...

They're back! Join the SplunkTrust and MVP at .conf24

With our highly anticipated annual conference, .conf, comes the fez-wearers you can trust! The SplunkTrust, as ...

Enterprise Security Content Update (ESCU) | New Releases

Last month, the Splunk Threat Research Team had two releases of new security content via the Enterprise ...