Getting Data In

DateTime extraction from an XML file - Why are dates not in sequence?

SpockGin
Explorer

I am doing some lab work and am struggling with a date/time extraction for an XML file.

There is *some sucess as I can get the date out of the data (between two <ActionDate> tags) though when I look at the ordering of the data, it is out of sequence.

I am doing this on a Stand Alone instance via the front end. I am wondering if something is off in my config, can any one advise?

SHOULD_LINEMERGE=false
LINE_BREAKER=([\r\n]+)\s*<Interceptor>
BREAK_ONLY_BEFORE_DATE=null
NO_BINARY_CHECK=true
CHARSET=UTF-8
MAX_TIMESTAMP_LOOKAHEAD=15
TIME_FORMAT=%F
TIME_PREFIX=<ActionDate>
kv_mode=xml
pulldown_type=true
TZ=America/New_York

Here is a screenshot too with how it is showing. Note the dates are not in sequence. What could be causing this?

SpockGin_1-1683715075281.png

Thanks

Labels (1)
0 Karma
1 Solution

SpockGin
Explorer

Further to this, I can confirm this works in the app.

The dates being out of sequence is just when doing the front end extractions (as it is not yet indexed). In the app it works properly.

Thanks

View solution in original post

0 Karma

gcusello
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Hi @SpockGin,

add "INDEXED_EXTRACTIONS = XML" to your props.conf, so you can define the field to use as timestamp.

Ciao.

Giuseppe

SpockGin
Explorer

Further to this, I can confirm this works in the app.

The dates being out of sequence is just when doing the front end extractions (as it is not yet indexed). In the app it works properly.

Thanks

0 Karma

SpockGin
Explorer

Hi @gcusello 

Thanks for your reply, I have to check,  as I have looked at that though the docs do not specify XML as an option.

https://docs.splunk.com/Documentation/Splunk/latest/Data/Extractfieldsfromfileswithstructureddata

INDEXED_EXTRACTIONS = <CSV|W3C|TSV|PSV|JSON|HEC>

Thanks

0 Karma

gcusello
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Hi @SpockGin,

sorry: xml isn't in structured indexed!

anyway the TIMR_PREFIX and TIME_FORMAT are wrong, please try this:

TIME_FORMAT=%Y-%m-%d
TIME_PREFIX=\<ActionDate\>

Ciao.

Giuseppe

Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Detecting Remote Code Executions With the Splunk Threat Research Team

WATCH NOWRemote code execution (RCE) vulnerabilities pose a significant risk to organizations. If exploited, ...

Enter the Splunk Community Dashboard Challenge for Your Chance to Win!

The Splunk Community Dashboard Challenge is underway! This is your chance to showcase your skills in creating ...

.conf24 | Session Scheduler is Live!!

.conf24 is happening June 11 - 14 in Las Vegas, and we are thrilled to announce that the conference catalog ...