Getting Data In

Configure input.conf for universal forwader

splunker_123
Path Finder

Hi

I've installed splunk indexer on a linux server and universal splunk forwarder on a windows machine,while installing the universal forwader I enabled few logs for forwarding such as

1 WinEventLog:Application
2 WinEventLog:System
3 Perfmon:CPU Load
4 Perfmon:Available Memory
5 Perfmon:Free Disk Space

And this is working as I see this the above splunk indexer ,NOw I want to remove this one and point my application logs in the universal forwader so that I can view the application logs in indexer
How to do this? I tried to do this by editing the input.conf file at /splunkhome/etc/system/local - but no luck - also I need to give new inputs such as my application logs - where do I add this in universal forwader?I'm kind of confused between inputs.conf and output.conf- Can any one please help

0 Karma

Ayn
Legend

Note that the file should be called inputs.conf, not input.conf.

0 Karma

yannK
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

please look in $SPLUNK_HOME\etc\apps\<nameoftheapp>\local\input.conf
the app folder name may be MSIinstaller*, but i am not 100% sure.
You should find the ones built by the installer wizard, and use them a model to add new ones.

yannK
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

You can edit either, at the end splunk merges all the configuration from every enabled app and system.

What I was saying is that the inputs created by the windows installer are usually in an app named "MSIsomething". If you want to use them as model.

0 Karma

splunker_123
Path Finder

Are you saying that I have to edit the inputs.conf under $SPLUNK_HOME\etc\apps\MSlinstaller\input.conf and not under system\local\inputs.conf?

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

More Ways To Control Your Costs With Archived Metrics | Register for Tech Talk

Tuesday, May 14, 2024  |  11AM PT / 2PM ET Register to Attend Join us for this Tech Talk and learn how to ...

.conf24 | Personalize your .conf experience with Learning Paths!

Personalize your .conf24 Experience Learning paths allow you to level up your skill sets and dive deeper ...

Threat Hunting Unlocked: How to Uplevel Your Threat Hunting With the PEAK Framework ...

WATCH NOWAs AI starts tackling low level alerts, it's more critical than ever to uplevel your threat hunting ...