Getting Data In

Capture data from scripted input

tsheets13
Communicator

I'm trying to so a simple ps for ssh connections from a specific user. I have created a python script

! /usr/bin/python

import os
os.system("ps -ef|grep 'sshd: myuser'|wc -l")

I've configured the script in inputs.conf

[script://$SPLUNK_HOME/etc/apps/CheckSSH/bin/chkssh.py]
disabled = false
index = testing
interval = 30 #frequency to run the script, in seconds
source = ssh_myuser
sourcetype = ssh_myuser

However, when I search for "sourcetype=ssh_myuser" I get no results.

ideas?

0 Karma
1 Solution

tsheets13
Communicator

Sure enough, it didn't like the comment in the interval declaration in inputs.conf.
Working great now. Thanks

View solution in original post

0 Karma

tsheets13
Communicator

Sure enough, it didn't like the comment in the interval declaration in inputs.conf.
Working great now. Thanks

0 Karma

niketn
Legend

@tsheets13 I have converted your comment to answer. Please accept the same to mark this question as answered and assist others facing similar issue.

mydog8it
Builder

Search for errors in the _internal Splunk logs:

index=_internal error chkssh.py

If there are no logs in _internal for the script you can also check the local logs on the machine running the script:

$SPLUNK_HOME/var/log/splunk/

On the host running the script, have you verified connectivity to the Splunk endpoint? Firewalls can be brutal.

If you have some more troubleshooting data, please share.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Built-in Service Level Objectives Management to Bridge the Gap Between Service & ...

Wednesday, May 29, 2024  |  11AM PST / 2PM ESTRegister now and join us to learn more about how you can ...

Get Your Exclusive Splunk Certified Cybersecurity Defense Engineer at Splunk .conf24 ...

We’re excited to announce a new Splunk certification exam being released at .conf24! If you’re headed to Vegas ...

Share Your Ideas & Meet the Lantern team at .Conf! Plus All of This Month’s New ...

Splunk Lantern is Splunk’s customer success center that provides advice from Splunk experts on valuable data ...