Getting Data In

Are there limitations for a Splunk Indexer on Linux indexing imported Windows Event Logs?

thomas_porter
Explorer

I referenced a prior question on this regarding Linux Splunk server and Windows Event Logs: https://answers.splunk.com/answers/60343/linux-splunk-server-and-windows-event-logs.html

But this is more than 4 years old and I am hoping there might be a new app out there.

In addition to native network monitoring through forwarders, we expect to receive Windows event logs in the native format (.evtx) on DVD. My indexer is on a Centos box. Do I still have to go through the "wevtutil" command to convert to XML, or is there a Splunk app that will allow me to ingest those native event logs directly?

mgnzlz
Engager

HI,

No that was an old threat i just finished a project using this environment and everything is good, as a charm. So dont worry, all you will need is Splunk universal forwarders on windows machines.

Melvin Gonzalez
Security Consultant

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Threat Hunting Unlocked: How to Uplevel Your Threat Hunting With the PEAK Framework ...

WATCH NOWAs AI starts tackling low level alerts, it's more critical than ever to uplevel your threat hunting ...

Splunk APM: New Product Features + Community Office Hours Recap!

Howdy Splunk Community! Over the past few months, we’ve had a lot going on in the world of Splunk Application ...

Index This | Forward, I’m heavy; backward, I’m not. What am I?

April 2024 Edition Hayyy Splunk Education Enthusiasts and the Eternally Curious!  We’re back with another ...