Getting Data In

Adding cisco switches, (all kinds), to syslog to Splunk

rmcole

I've tried adding a new UDP data input but it feels like something is missing. I went as far as to cause events on a switch that should normally be sent to a syslog server (Splunk in this case). I am very new to the management side of Splunk so please speak simple.

Ok, I give up. Splunk is one of 1000 things I do and I'm tired of wasting time messing with it.
There's got to be something better out there!

Tags (1)
0 Karma
1 Solution

dshpritz
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

If the events are showing up in Splunk, then your next step is to get some field extractions for the data. You're in luck, there is a Technology Add-on for Cisco IOS, which should get you a pretty good start. Then start exploring your data.

View solution in original post

dshpritz
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

If the events are showing up in Splunk, then your next step is to get some field extractions for the data. You're in luck, there is a Technology Add-on for Cisco IOS, which should get you a pretty good start. Then start exploring your data.

dshpritz
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Have you looked at the docs on field extractions? http://docs.splunk.com/Documentation/Splunk/latest/Knowledge/Addfieldsatsearchtime

The TA that I linked to should provide some out of the box extractions, but it would also depend on what the sourcetype of your incoming data is. Is the data currently sourcetyped as syslog?

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Introducing the Splunk Community Dashboard Challenge!

Welcome to Splunk Community Dashboard Challenge! This is your chance to showcase your skills in creating ...

Wondering How to Build Resiliency in the Cloud?

IT leaders are choosing Splunk Cloud as an ideal cloud transformation platform to drive business resilience,  ...

Updated Data Management and AWS GDI Inventory in Splunk Observability

We’re making some changes to Data Management and Infrastructure Inventory for AWS. The Data Management page, ...