Deployment Architecture

Splunk Universal Forwarder Data Recovery Following a Network Issue

splunkmasterfle
Path Finder

Hi,

Just wondering if anyone has encountered the following issue.

I want to setup a distributed Splunk environment consisting of one indexer and multiple forwarders, let's say 6. The forwarders will be installed on a different network and must pass through a firewall in order to contact the indexer. If, for some reason, the network drops and the forwarders are unable to contact the indexer, what happends in this case?

-Do the forwarders stop sending data immediately?

-Will I lose some data from the files that the forwarders are monitoring?

-Is there a clean and elegant way to synchronize the files being monitored by the forwarders and the events on the indexer?

I am trying to setup Splunk on a production environment and having all of the events produced on the servers is crucial.

Has anyone had a similar issue and found a reliable solution?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

0 Karma

grijhwani
Motivator

Splunk operates over TCP, so you don't lose data, although if your network outage lasts a long time you can find it starts chewing through memory. Once the connection restores it will eventually catch up automatically (provided it has the bandwidth).

0 Karma

splunkmasterfle
Path Finder

Is this information taken from the splunk documentation ?

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Splunk APM: New Product Features + Community Office Hours Recap!

Howdy Splunk Community! Over the past few months, we’ve had a lot going on in the world of Splunk Application ...

Index This | Forward, I’m heavy; backward, I’m not. What am I?

April 2024 Edition Hayyy Splunk Education Enthusiasts and the Eternally Curious!  We’re back with another ...

A Guide To Cloud Migration Success

As enterprises’ rapid expansion to the cloud continues, IT leaders are continuously looking for ways to focus ...