Deployment Architecture

Splunk Install on Ubuntu 10.4

chennai
Explorer

Hi! I am new to Splunk. I just download the Splunk 4.1.4 tar file and untar on the host, What is the next step to configure Splunk on my Ubuntu Server.

Currently I am planning to configure splunk on ubuntu 10.4. Please sned me the documentation. Thanks.

Tags (1)
1 Solution

Vladimir
Path Finder

try to use sudo ./splunk start

View solution in original post

Vladimir
Path Finder

try to use sudo ./splunk start

neilhaywood
Engager

I know its old, but you shouldnt be running splunk as root.
Install as a splunk user. Then if this issue arises, do.

As Root:

chown -R splukuser:splunkuser /opt/splunk/

Then as splunkuser

$ splunk start

0 Karma

Vladimir
Path Finder

one note I forgot to say... if you have splunk user in your system it'd be better to use "sudo -u splunk ..." to run under this user
before this command probably you will need to run "sudo chown -R splunk:splunk /opt/splunk" to change the owner from root to splunk

ekoptilina

Thank you, Vladimir! I had the same problem with unability to create "/opt/splunk/etc/licenses/enterprise", your advice to use "sudo ./splunk start" helped!

0 Karma

allcapony

Hi, can any one tell me how do I install splunkforwarder?

0 Karma

Vladimir
Path Finder

If you are using debian/ubuntu:
- download deb package
- in terminal lanch: sudo dpkg -i splunk_package_name.deb

Shane
Explorer

splunk-4.1.5-85165-linux-2.6-intel.deb if you're using the 32 bit Ubuntu

John_Mark
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

Install the .deb. It works flawlessly on Ubuntu 10.04.

chennai
Explorer

Hi, what is exact package name so that I can use aptitude to Install it on my ubuntu server.

Genti
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

cd to the dir where you untared
cd splunk/bin/
./splunk start

Please read the installation docs found at: http://www.splunk.com/base/Documentation/latest/Installation/InstallonLinux

dwaddle
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

You might start at http://www.splunk.com/base/Documentation/latest/Installation/InstallonLinux followed by http://www.splunk.com/base/Documentation/latest/Installation/StartSplunkforthefirsttime

BTW, you do know Splunk is available in .deb package format, which Ubuntu can natively install being a derivative of debian?

chennai
Explorer

Thank you very much for you help. I will check it out.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

More Ways To Control Your Costs With Archived Metrics | Register for Tech Talk

Tuesday, May 14, 2024  |  11AM PT / 2PM ET Register to Attend Join us for this Tech Talk and learn how to ...

.conf24 | Personalize your .conf experience with Learning Paths!

Personalize your .conf24 Experience Learning paths allow you to level up your skill sets and dive deeper ...

Threat Hunting Unlocked: How to Uplevel Your Threat Hunting With the PEAK Framework ...

WATCH NOWAs AI starts tackling low level alerts, it's more critical than ever to uplevel your threat hunting ...