Deployment Architecture

Searchhead is unable to update the peer information. Error = 'Unable to reach master'

sarvesh_11
Communicator

Hi Splunkers,
I am configuring a new standalone search head, while configuration i am getting below warning,did my work around but unable to rectify it.

The searchhead is unable to update the peer information. Error = 'Unable to reach master' for master=https://Masterserver.com:8089.

My Indexers are in Cluster and in Splunk Cloud, and i am using this Standalone search head, this is in AWS Cloud.

Though i am not sure, below log is helpful in context to this, but this is the log i am repeatedly getting in /opt/splunk/var/log/splunk/splunkd.log

ERROR ClusteringMgr - VerifyMultisiteConfig failed Error=failed method=GET path=/services/cluster/master/info/?output_mode=json master=MasterServer.com:8089 rv=0 gotConnectionError=0 gotUnexpectedStatusCode=1 actual_response_code=401 expected_response_code=2xx status_line="Unauthorized" socket_error="No error" remote_error=call not properly authenticated

Thanks in Advance.

1 Solution

DavidHourani
Super Champion

Hi @sarvesh_11,

You're getting error code 401 meaning u have an authentication issue.

Try re-entering you're pass4symmkey and restarting your SH.

Cheers,
David

View solution in original post

DavidHourani
Super Champion

Hi @sarvesh_11,

You're getting error code 401 meaning u have an authentication issue.

Try re-entering you're pass4symmkey and restarting your SH.

Cheers,
David

sarvesh_11
Communicator

Hey @DavidHourani i did this is server.conf on SH but no change, error is still the same.

0 Karma

DavidHourani
Super Champion

Any cert configured ?

Try the solution shown here :
https://answers.splunk.com/answers/562198/error-clusteringmgr-verifymultisiteconfig-failed-w-1.html

Before starting splunk, try to backup server.conf , then remove the sslConfig stantza in the server.conf and start the splunk.
0 Karma

sarvesh_11
Communicator

Yeah @DavidHourani tried this too, removed the sslconfig stanza from /local/server.conf.
Yet no luck

0 Karma

DavidHourani
Super Champion

what do you get when you run : nc -vv Your_CM_IP 8089 from your SH

0 Karma

sarvesh_11
Communicator

@DavidHourani
Ncat: Version 7.50 ( https://nmap.org/ncat )
NCAT DEBUG: Using system default trusted CA certificates and those in /usr/share/ncat/ca-bundle.crt.
NCAT DEBUG: Unable to load trusted CA certificates from /usr/share/ncat/ca-bundle.crt: error:02001002:system library:fopen:No such file or directory
libnsock nsi_new2(): nsi_new (IOD #1)
libnsock nsock_connect_tcp(): TCP connection requested to CM_IP:8089 (IOD #1) EID 8
libnsock nsock_trace_handler_callback(): Callback: CONNECT SUCCESS for EID 8 [CM_IP:8089]
Ncat: Connected to CM_IP:8089.

THis looks fine, than definitely issue with pass4symmkey

0 Karma

DavidHourani
Super Champion

seems like it, yes

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

More Ways To Control Your Costs With Archived Metrics | Register for Tech Talk

Tuesday, May 14, 2024  |  11AM PT / 2PM ET Register to Attend Join us for this Tech Talk and learn how to ...

.conf24 | Personalize your .conf experience with Learning Paths!

Personalize your .conf24 Experience Learning paths allow you to level up your skill sets and dive deeper ...

Threat Hunting Unlocked: How to Uplevel Your Threat Hunting With the PEAK Framework ...

WATCH NOWAs AI starts tackling low level alerts, it's more critical than ever to uplevel your threat hunting ...