Deployment Architecture

Getting this message on Splunk Web : FAILED_LOAD_DEPLOYMENT_SERVER

bhavesh91

Getting the below message post upgrade from 5.0.8 to 6.1.4 : FAILED_LOAD_DEPLOYMENT_SERVER. ,please let me know how to get rid of this error and also the splunk refresh deploy-clients & splunk reload deploy-server are erroring out :
Socket error communicating with splunkd (error=The read operation timed out), path = /services/deployment/server/config/_reload

0 Karma

teunlaan
Contributor

Make sure you don't have any mistakes in your serverclass.conf. Since version 6.x Splunk is very strict with the config files.
For instance: when using a whit/black list, you can’t skip a number. this will fail to load thedeployment server

whitelist.0 = host3
whitelist.2 = host2
whitelist.3 = host1

And this will load

whitelist.0 = host3
whitelist.1 = host2
whitelist.2 = host1

It also can be you defined a app(location) that doesn't exist anymore. Deployment server also won't load in that situation

bsuresh1
Path Finder

This is really a good information. I have got this Socket error as many times when I load. Restarting splunk too didnt solve the issue. After seeing this post, I realized that I have typed "[serverClass:appname]" as "[serverclass:appname]" in serverclass.conf file. Please note "C", it should be in upper case. After changing this, I could reload the splunk. Thanks for this very valuable information.

0 Karma

Lucas_K
Motivator

Check splunkd_stderr.log it will say which app or location doesn't exist anymore. Remove that from being referenced in the serverclass.conf and the problem will go away (had this issue today).

0 Karma

hartfoml
Motivator

I am also seeing this issue

has the following message: FAILED_LOAD_DEPLOYMENT_SERVER

Has anyone found out what is causing this error?

I am running version 6.2.0 on the heavy forwarder that is giving this error.

Does any how to disable deployment server so that it does not try to start up?

0 Karma

teunlaan
Contributor

make sure there is no serverclass.conf with info in it on your heavy-forwarders. If your running 6.x the system Always creates an empty one in etc/system/local, but thats ok

0 Karma

JoeSco27
Communicator

I am also seeing this on my deployment server. Cannot reload or deploy changes via Deployment Server. Have you figured out a fix to this issue or a reason for the failure?

0 Karma

sloshburch
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

I'm seeing the same. Still trying to figure it out.

It's coming from my indexer which is not a deployment client and has deploymentclient disabled just to be safe.

0 Karma

teunlaan
Contributor

make sure there is no serverclass.conf with info in it on your Indexers. If your running 6.x the system Always creates an empty one in etc/system/local, but thats ok

0 Karma

saurabh_tek
Communicator

A good pointer. thank you.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Splunk APM: New Product Features + Community Office Hours Recap!

Howdy Splunk Community! Over the past few months, we’ve had a lot going on in the world of Splunk Application ...

Index This | Forward, I’m heavy; backward, I’m not. What am I?

April 2024 Edition Hayyy Splunk Education Enthusiasts and the Eternally Curious!  We’re back with another ...

A Guide To Cloud Migration Success

As enterprises’ rapid expansion to the cloud continues, IT leaders are continuously looking for ways to focus ...