Deployment Architecture

Do I need to have autoLB on the search head?

scottrunyon
Contributor

I am getting the message

Forwarding to indexer group default-autolb-group blocked for 100 seconds  

I am running a single search head with two indexers and 42 Universal Forwarders. I have [tcpout] and [tcpout:default-autolb-group] configured in Splunk\etc\system\local\outputs.conf. on the search head with server= pointing to the two indexers. My question is, do I need to have autoLB defined on the search head?

0 Karma
1 Solution

scottrunyon
Contributor

Answer is no longer needed. We now have a single system Splunk instance, so load balancing to indexers is not needed.

View solution in original post

0 Karma

scottrunyon
Contributor

Answer is no longer needed. We now have a single system Splunk instance, so load balancing to indexers is not needed.

0 Karma

phadnett_splunk
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

Hi scottrunyon, autoLB defaults to true, so it is already configured and there is no need to set it manually. Hope this helps!

http://docs.splunk.com/Documentation/Splunk/latest/Admin/Outputsconf

autoLB = true
* Automatic load balancing is the only way to forward data. Round-robin method is not supported anymore.
* Defaults to true.

0 Karma

scottrunyon
Contributor

It looks to me that on the outputs.conf documentation, load balancing is defined for forwarders. My question concerns the search head, Is load balancing needed on a single search head with 2 indexers? In other words, can I remove the load balancing configuration and stop the message.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

More Ways To Control Your Costs With Archived Metrics | Register for Tech Talk

Tuesday, May 14, 2024  |  11AM PT / 2PM ET Register to Attend Join us for this Tech Talk and learn how to ...

.conf24 | Personalize your .conf experience with Learning Paths!

Personalize your .conf24 Experience Learning paths allow you to level up your skill sets and dive deeper ...

Threat Hunting Unlocked: How to Uplevel Your Threat Hunting With the PEAK Framework ...

WATCH NOWAs AI starts tackling low level alerts, it's more critical than ever to uplevel your threat hunting ...