Dashboards & Visualizations

Why is selectFirstChoice selecting an incorrect default value for my drop-down list?

ewijkmr
Engager

Hi,

I use the following search to dynamically populate a drop-down list. However, the default value selected is not in the resulting top-10 table at all.

<input type="dropdown" token="jobname" searchWhenChanged="true">
        <label>Select Jobname from Top-10</label>
        <populatingSearch fieldForValue="JOBNAME" fieldForLabel="JOBNAME" earliest="-30d@d" latest="now">
           <![CDATA[sourcetype=sapsr3_tbtc_1* | eval startmoment=strptime(STRTDATE." ".STRTTIME,"%Y%m%d %H%M%S"), eindmoment=strptime(ENDDATE." ".ENDTIME,"%Y%m%d %H%M%S"), runtime=eindmoment-startmoment | stats sum(runtime) by  JOBNAME | sort -sum(runtime) | head 10 | table JOBNAME]]>
        </populatingSearch>        
        <selectFirstChoice>true</selectFirstChoice>
      </input>

Running the search as a normal search shows that the selected value is the one at the top of the table before the head 10 and may be even before the sort sum..... has been applied. My guess is that Splunk is applying the selectFirstChoice to intermediate and not the end result of the search. I.e. ZFIU_REVERSE_SDD_PO is the selected value by selectFirstChoice, but is not part of the top-10 drop-down list.

alt text

Any thoughts anyone?

Thanks a bunch!

btw Splunk 6.4.1

0 Karma
1 Solution

ewijkmr
Engager

Thanks both for your answers. However, this morning I was going to try the 'num....' answer and the problem had disappeared!

Don't understand because I worked on this for mulitple hours and did numerous refreshes. I think I didn't do a browser stop/start. May be Splunk has 'some caching remnants' that disappear after restart/reboot.

Thanks anyway for your help!

View solution in original post

0 Karma

ewijkmr
Engager

Thanks both for your answers. However, this morning I was going to try the 'num....' answer and the problem had disappeared!

Don't understand because I worked on this for mulitple hours and did numerous refreshes. I think I didn't do a browser stop/start. May be Splunk has 'some caching remnants' that disappear after restart/reboot.

Thanks anyway for your help!

0 Karma

somesoni2
Revered Legend

Try using this query for your dropdown

sourcetype=sapsr3_tbtc_1* | eval startmoment=strptime(STRTDATE." ".STRTTIME,"%Y%m%d %H%M%S"), eindmoment=strptime(ENDDATE." ".ENDTIME,"%Y%m%d %H%M%S"), runtime=eindmoment-startmoment | stats sum(runtime) as runtime by  JOBNAME | sort -num(runtime) | head 10 | table JOBNAME
0 Karma

sk314
Builder

Did you try sorting by JOBNAME at the end of the populating seach? Just a thought.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Stay Connected: Your Guide to May Tech Talks, Office Hours, and Webinars!

Take a look below to explore our upcoming Community Office Hours, Tech Talks, and Webinars this month. This ...

They're back! Join the SplunkTrust and MVP at .conf24

With our highly anticipated annual conference, .conf, comes the fez-wearers you can trust! The SplunkTrust, as ...

Enterprise Security Content Update (ESCU) | New Releases

Last month, the Splunk Threat Research Team had two releases of new security content via the Enterprise ...