Dashboards & Visualizations

Since upgrading to 6.5 many dashboard panels NOT working - TAB character issue in the SPL?

simpkins1958
Contributor

Lots of my dashboard panels in simple XML are no longer working since upgrading to 6.5. Getting "No results found." But when I open up in search the SPL work fine with lots of results.

Issue appears to be tab characters in my SPL.

<search base="baseSearch_wwan_connectfailure">
      <query>stats count as Failures by car 
           | sort-Failures 
           | rename car as "Carrier"
      </query>

If I replace the tab characters with spaces all is working again.

Anyone else seeing this issue?

0 Karma

simpkins1958
Contributor

Replacing all tab characters with spaces in my XML files fixed the issue.

frobinson_splun
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

Hi @simpkins1958,
Our engineering team has been looking into this and we were able to reproduce the behavior today. From what I can tell, this issue does not occur if you are creating or editing a dashboard within the Dashboard Editor interface in Splunk Web, but it might occur if another editor, such as VIM, is used. We're going to investigate this further.

We've filed a ticket to track this as a bug/known issue and look into a fix in an upcoming version. Thanks for posting your notes and the workaround!

0 Karma

ChrisBell04
Communicator

Per support, this bug is SPL-131250, and was resolved as of 6.5.2. It specifically only broke simple xml dashboards which had TAB characters.

0 Karma

simpkins1958
Contributor

alt text

0 Karma

rjthibod
Champion

Weird. I too have had some issues with 6.5 SimpleXML, but unrelated to this. I will be on the lookout for anything similar and will report to the Splunk team.

0 Karma

rjthibod
Champion

I have not seen this issue and I use tabs a lot. What browser are you using to access the dashboards? Are your SimpleXML files in UTF-8 / ASCII format?

0 Karma

simpkins1958
Contributor

Seeing the issue in latest versions of Chrome and IE. XML files are ASCII format.

0 Karma

rjthibod
Champion

Also, when you click Edit -> Source, does Splunk show any Validation errors or warnings XML? This is a new feature in 6.5 that has become very handy.

0 Karma

simpkins1958
Contributor

Nope no validation errors.

All works when I change tabs to spaces.

0 Karma

rjthibod
Champion

what do you see when you look at the job inspector? does it look like the job inspector show the searches in what looks like a reasonably accurate translation for the litsearch field?

0 Karma

simpkins1958
Contributor

See the screen shot I just attached. Job inspector is reporting 40K+ events.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Splunk APM: New Product Features + Community Office Hours Recap!

Howdy Splunk Community! Over the past few months, we’ve had a lot going on in the world of Splunk Application ...

Index This | Forward, I’m heavy; backward, I’m not. What am I?

April 2024 Edition Hayyy Splunk Education Enthusiasts and the Eternally Curious!  We’re back with another ...

A Guide To Cloud Migration Success

As enterprises’ rapid expansion to the cloud continues, IT leaders are continuously looking for ways to focus ...