All Apps and Add-ons

Splunk DB Connect -- Upgrading v3.1.0 to v3.1.1 failed

Motoko89
Path Finder

Hi, I have tried to update both directly through the web and download the *.tgz file and update through file

Updating through web gave me 500 error and updating through file gave me this error:

There was an error processing the upload. In handler 'localapps': Error installing application: Failed to copy C:\Splk\var\run\splunk\bundle_tmp\400ca3da34b01e09\splunk_app_db_connect to C:\Splk\etc\apps\splunk_app_db_connect. Error occurred while renaming .tmp file to destination file error="The process cannot access the file because it is being used by another process." src="C:\Splk\var\run\splunk\bundle_tmp\400ca3da34b01e09\splunk_app_db_connect\jars\server.jar" dest="C:\Splk\etc\apps\splunk_app_db_connect\jars\server.jar"

I'm using Splunk 6.5.3 if that matters

0 Karma
1 Solution

jkat54
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Maybe youll need to stop RPC service first because it's got server.jar loaded into a JVM.

Last I checked, you can stop it from the dbconnect configuration/settings menu.

Push come to shove, you may have to stop Splunk and untar the new version over the old. I'm almost willing to bet thats the documented method.

edit: I see you are on windows, please see the instructions in the link I posted in my comment.

View solution in original post

jkat54
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Maybe youll need to stop RPC service first because it's got server.jar loaded into a JVM.

Last I checked, you can stop it from the dbconnect configuration/settings menu.

Push come to shove, you may have to stop Splunk and untar the new version over the old. I'm almost willing to bet thats the documented method.

edit: I see you are on windows, please see the instructions in the link I posted in my comment.

jkat54
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Check out the upgrade instructions here too. There's an extra step of removing settings.py* from the bin dir after the upgrade:

http://docs.splunk.com/Documentation/DBX/3.0.0/DeployDBX/Checklist

0 Karma

jkat54
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Sorry to keep adding here... but I'll save you the trouble of reading the link:

If you are running DB Connect on Windows platform and want to upgrade to the higher version. You need to:
Disable DB Connect before upgrading
Upgrade DB Connect (you ca do that from the app manager - little cog/gear looking thing next to apps) and restart Splunk platform.
Enable DB Connect after upgrade
From version 3.1.0, DB Connect uses dbx_settings.py instead of settings.py to configure the task server related settings. If you are using Splunk DB Connect 3 (version 3.0.0, 3.0.1, 3.0.2 etc) and want to upgrade to DB Connect 3.1.0 and later. You have to remove settings.py and any related files such as settings.pyo, settings.pyc from $SPLUNK_HOME/etc/apps/splunk_app_db_connect/bin manually after upgrading DB Connect.

0 Karma

Motoko89
Path Finder

Thank you for your response. My bad that I didn't read the instruction carefully. So the weirdest thing happened. I got back to work this morning and the Splunk DB Connect somehow already been upgraded to 3.1.1. I think the fact that the server restarted overnight to install Windows updates may have something to do with it

Another question is I don't see the Disable button for Splunk DB Connect in the Manage Apps page of Splunk. Is that where I'm supposed to disable the app?
alt text

0 Karma

Motoko89
Path Finder

OK I think the app entered a bad state. I reinstalled DB Connect 3.1.1 again and everything is fine. Case closed

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

More Ways To Control Your Costs With Archived Metrics | Register for Tech Talk

Tuesday, May 14, 2024  |  11AM PT / 2PM ET Register to Attend Join us for this Tech Talk and learn how to ...

.conf24 | Personalize your .conf experience with Learning Paths!

Personalize your .conf24 Experience Learning paths allow you to level up your skill sets and dive deeper ...

Threat Hunting Unlocked: How to Uplevel Your Threat Hunting With the PEAK Framework ...

WATCH NOWAs AI starts tackling low level alerts, it's more critical than ever to uplevel your threat hunting ...