All Apps and Add-ons

Splunk App for Web Analytics: Why am I getting "Eventtype 'brand-name' and 'internal-domain' not found or disabled" errors?

rmsit
Communicator

Hello,

After installing Splunk App for Web Analytics and building the lookups for IIS data, I receive errors that these event types do not exist or they are disabled. The error originates from the indexer and I have the app installed on the search head. How do I resolve these errors?

0 Karma
1 Solution

jbjerke_splunk
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

Hi James

There was some undeclared eventtypes in the latest release (1.3) that caused a warning message on the search head. The warning message does not affect the functionality of the app as these eventtypes are not used. I will fix this in the next release of the app.

As a workaround you can create a file called eventtypes.conf and place it here:

SPLUNK_HOME/etc/apps/SplunkAppForWebAnalytics/local

The contents should be this:

[visitor-type-direct]
search = eventtype=web-traffic referer="-" OR (NOT eventtype=visitor-type-paid) 

[external-referer]
search = eventtype=web-traffic NOT (referer="-" OR referer="*q=*" OR referer="*p=*" OR eventtype=social-*)

[internal-referer]
disabled=1

[search-referer]
search = eventtype=web-traffic NOT eventtype=direct-referer (referer="*q=*" OR referer="*p=*")

[socialmedia-referer]
search = eventtype=social-* NOT eventtype=direct-referer

j

View solution in original post

jbjerke_splunk
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

Hi James

There was some undeclared eventtypes in the latest release (1.3) that caused a warning message on the search head. The warning message does not affect the functionality of the app as these eventtypes are not used. I will fix this in the next release of the app.

As a workaround you can create a file called eventtypes.conf and place it here:

SPLUNK_HOME/etc/apps/SplunkAppForWebAnalytics/local

The contents should be this:

[visitor-type-direct]
search = eventtype=web-traffic referer="-" OR (NOT eventtype=visitor-type-paid) 

[external-referer]
search = eventtype=web-traffic NOT (referer="-" OR referer="*q=*" OR referer="*p=*" OR eventtype=social-*)

[internal-referer]
disabled=1

[search-referer]
search = eventtype=web-traffic NOT eventtype=direct-referer (referer="*q=*" OR referer="*p=*")

[socialmedia-referer]
search = eventtype=social-* NOT eventtype=direct-referer

j

rmsit
Communicator

Hi Johan,

After upgrading to version 1.42 I am now receiving the errors below. Should I make the changes again that worked above?

1. Eventtype 'pageview' does not exist or is disabled.
  2. Eventtype 'web-traffic' does not exist or is disabled.

Thanks,
James

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

More Ways To Control Your Costs With Archived Metrics | Register for Tech Talk

Tuesday, May 14, 2024  |  11AM PT / 2PM ET Register to Attend Join us for this Tech Talk and learn how to ...

.conf24 | Personalize your .conf experience with Learning Paths!

Personalize your .conf24 Experience Learning paths allow you to level up your skill sets and dive deeper ...

Threat Hunting Unlocked: How to Uplevel Your Threat Hunting With the PEAK Framework ...

WATCH NOWAs AI starts tackling low level alerts, it's more critical than ever to uplevel your threat hunting ...