All Apps and Add-ons

Splunk Add-on for IBM WebSphere Application Server: How do I add these parameters to the JMX add-on?

fhjfong

Hello,

I've configured the Splunk Add-on for IBM WebSphere Application Server (http://docs.splunk.com/Documentation/AddOns/latest/IBMWAS/About) and got it partially working against a WebSphere 7 app server.

When I ran this search:

sourcetype=ibm:was:jmx source=*Thread*Pool | dedup source, server, node, cell | rename stats.wsImpl.dataMembers{}.current as currentCount | table server, node, cell, source, maximumSize, minimumSize, currentCount 

I could see the server, node, cell, source columns got populated, but the maximumSize, minimumSize, currentCount are missing.

I am also seeing the below exception in the debug mode jmx log. Having said that, I've already entered the WebSphere credential in the JMX Server setting.

2015-08-28 12:15:55,302 - com.splunk.modinput.ModularInput -7289 [pool-1-thread-6] ERROR - Error executing JMX stanza jmx://_Splunk_TA_jmx_:Splunk_TA_jmx:QAT_WAS7 : 
>> SERVER (id=6bf73017, host=cs1ilwsi11) TRACE START: 
>> javax.management.JMRuntimeException: ADMN0022E: Access is denied for the getName operation on JDBCDriver MBean because of insufficient or empty credentials. 
>> at com.ibm.ws.management.AdminServiceImpl.preInvoke(AdminServiceImpl.java:2378) 
>> at com.ibm.ws.management.AdminServiceImpl.preInvoke(AdminServiceImpl.java:2185) 
>> at com.ibm.ws.management.AdminServiceImpl.preInvoke(AdminServiceImpl.java:2079) 
>> at com.ibm.ws.management.AdminServiceImpl.preInvoke(AdminServiceImpl.java:2052) 
>> at com.ibm.ws.management.AdminServiceImpl.getAttribute(AdminServiceImpl.java:851) 
>> at com.ibm.ws.management.remote.AdminServiceForwarder.getAttribute(AdminServiceForwarder.java:282) 
>> at javax.management.remote.rmi.RMIConnectionImpl.doOperation(RMIConnectionImpl.java:1443) 
>> at javax.management.remote.rmi.RMIConnectionImpl.access$300(RMIConnectionImpl.java:86) 
>> at javax.management.remote.rmi.RMIConnectionImpl$PrivilegedOperation.run(RMIConnectionImpl.java:1307) 
>> at javax.management.remote.rmi.RMIConnectionImpl.doPrivilegedOperation(RMIConnectionImpl.java:1399) 
>> at javax.management.remote.rmi.RMIConnectionImpl.getAttribute(RMIConnectionImpl.java:642) 
>> at javax.management.remote.rmi._RMIConnectionImpl_Tie.getAttribute(_RMIConnectionImpl_Tie.java:578) 
>> at javax.management.remote.rmi._RMIConnectionImpl_Tie._invoke(_RMIConnectionImpl_Tie.java:98) 
>> at com.ibm.CORBA.iiop.ServerDelegate.dispatchInvokeHandler(ServerDelegate.java:603) 
>> at com.ibm.CORBA.iiop.ServerDelegate.dispatch(ServerDelegate.java:473) 
>> at com.ibm.rmi.iiop.ORB.process(ORB.java:631) 
>> at com.ibm.CORBA.iiop.ORB.process(ORB.java:1581) 
>> at com.ibm.rmi.iiop.Connection.respondTo(Connection.java:3079) 
>> at com.ibm.rmi.iiop.Connection.doWork(Connection.java:2928) 
>> at com.ibm.rmi.iiop.WorkUnitImpl.doWork(WorkUnitImpl.java:65) 
>> at com.ibm.ejs.oa.pool.PooledThread.run(ThreadPool.java:118) 
>> at com.ibm.ws.util.ThreadPool$Worker.run(ThreadPool.java:1662) 
>> SERVER (id=6bf73017, host=cs1ilwsi11) TRACE END. 

To get rid of these exceptions in jconsole, I have to add the below two parameters. How could I inject these parameters to the JMX add-on please?

-J-Dcom.ibm.CORBA.ConfigURL=file:C:\sas.client.props -J-Dcom.ibm.SSL.ConfigURL=file:C:\ssl.client.props

Thanks.

Cheers,
Jack

0 Karma

4Name
Explorer

Same here...
Do any of you fellow Splunkers managed to resolve this?

0 Karma

KomalSharma
Explorer

Does anyone have a working solution for this issue? I am facing the same error when trying to access JVM MBean for a websphere implementation. Following the answers I have added the 2 parameters for sas.client.props and ssl.client.props in jmx.py in ...Splunk_TA_jmx/bin directory but still see the error in the logs. Please point out if there is any documentation I can refer to. Thanks in advance.

0 Karma

fhjfong

Check the jmx.py file.

0 Karma

jason_mannering
Engager

I have the same issue. Were you able to resolve this?

0 Karma

jcoates_splunk
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

I'm pretty sure those are configurations to your JRE, so it's outside of the stuff we can easily configure. I would look at doing this through environment variables perhaps? I'd also double-check that you're using IBM's JRE.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

More Ways To Control Your Costs With Archived Metrics | Register for Tech Talk

Tuesday, May 14, 2024  |  11AM PT / 2PM ET Register to Attend Join us for this Tech Talk and learn how to ...

.conf24 | Personalize your .conf experience with Learning Paths!

Personalize your .conf24 Experience Learning paths allow you to level up your skill sets and dive deeper ...

Threat Hunting Unlocked: How to Uplevel Your Threat Hunting With the PEAK Framework ...

WATCH NOWAs AI starts tackling low level alerts, it's more critical than ever to uplevel your threat hunting ...