All Apps and Add-ons

Scripted Inputs for *Nix

AlexMcDuffMille
Communicator

Hello,

I'm having a hard time funding the documentation for the scripts that come with the standard installation of the Splunk for Unix and Linux app. Where can I go to find out what kinds of statistics these scripts are actually gathering individually?

Thanks,
Alex

0 Karma

adrianathome
Communicator

You can run script manually and see the output too.

0 Karma

lukejadamec
Super Champion

I have not found any documentation on what the scripts do either. So far as I can tell, the way you find out what the scripts do is to read the scripts.

The scripts are located in the etc/apps/unix/bin folder.

Unfortunately, there are not a lot of informative comments included in the scripts. Modifying the scripts to include comments would be an enhancement.

lukejadamec
Super Champion

The scripts are in the unix app or TA_nix app depending on which one you installed. You can find them in the bin folder.
splunk/etc/apps/unix/bin
If you cannot "locate" the cpu.sh script, the you probably have a permission problem.

0 Karma

Vebloud
Explorer

There is not folder like this when I install app. Folder is splunk_app_for_nix. Its not reflected in documentation.
Also there is no setup.sh in bin folder, so how should I enable inputs?

0 Karma

AlexMcDuffMille
Communicator

I'm not seeing the 'apps' directory within etc/.

I ran 'locate cpu.sh' and it did not come up with anything.

0 Karma

lukejadamec
Super Champion

The scripts for collecting data are on the server that is being monitored.

0 Karma

AlexMcDuffMille
Communicator

Is that on the Splunk server, or the server that I am monitoring?

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

More Ways To Control Your Costs With Archived Metrics | Register for Tech Talk

Tuesday, May 14, 2024  |  11AM PT / 2PM ET Register to Attend Join us for this Tech Talk and learn how to ...

.conf24 | Personalize your .conf experience with Learning Paths!

Personalize your .conf24 Experience Learning paths allow you to level up your skill sets and dive deeper ...

Threat Hunting Unlocked: How to Uplevel Your Threat Hunting With the PEAK Framework ...

WATCH NOWAs AI starts tackling low level alerts, it's more critical than ever to uplevel your threat hunting ...