All Apps and Add-ons

Issue when upgrading from 7.2.6 to 8.0.1

AKG1_old1
Builder

Hello,

we are currently on 7.2.6 and planning to upgrade with 8.0.1.

When I upgraded in test environment, After starting splunk(it took longer to start). but real issue is I am not be able to access Splunk via web.

I read somewhere that Splunk web doesn't support python 2.7 so I just changed it to 3.7.

splunk/etc/system/local/server.conf
       python.version = python3

Not sure if anything else I am missing here.

Thanks

Errors in splunkd.log
alt text

0 Karma
1 Solution

AKG1_old1
Builder

I am able to start webUI after upgrade. Problem was there are mutiple apps having python script which is not compitible in Splunk 8.x. So I have removed those apps to make it working.

Apps I have to remove
Splunk_TA_jmx
splunk_app_for_nix
DBdata
sideview_utils
dbx
sos

View solution in original post

0 Karma

AKG1_old1
Builder

I am able to start webUI after upgrade. Problem was there are mutiple apps having python script which is not compitible in Splunk 8.x. So I have removed those apps to make it working.

Apps I have to remove
Splunk_TA_jmx
splunk_app_for_nix
DBdata
sideview_utils
dbx
sos

0 Karma

BainM
Communicator

Hello agoyal-

1. Remove the python statement from server.conf. Splunk uses its own internal Python environment, and while it is transitioning/ed over Py3, it still allows for Py2 (at the moment). Changing anything Python manually can damage the application.

2. Check your logs! 🙂 If there is an issue with splunkweb, it will tell you and you can post it back here.
    Linux: {$SPLUNK_HOME}/var/log/splunk/splunkd.log
    Win: {$SPLUNK_HOME}\var\log\splunk\splunkd.log

Hope this helps,
Mike

AKG1_old1
Builder

@BainM : thanks for response. I have reverted server.conf. I have attached screenshot of relevant errors I am getting in Splunkd.log

There errors related to python and getting this error for multiple apps.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

More Ways To Control Your Costs With Archived Metrics | Register for Tech Talk

Tuesday, May 14, 2024  |  11AM PT / 2PM ET Register to Attend Join us for this Tech Talk and learn how to ...

.conf24 | Personalize your .conf experience with Learning Paths!

Personalize your .conf24 Experience Learning paths allow you to level up your skill sets and dive deeper ...

Threat Hunting Unlocked: How to Uplevel Your Threat Hunting With the PEAK Framework ...

WATCH NOWAs AI starts tackling low level alerts, it's more critical than ever to uplevel your threat hunting ...