All Apps and Add-ons

How to restart the Website Monitoring app without restarting Splunk?

thomas_unger_ex
Explorer

How to restart the Website Monitoring app without restarting Splunk?

I installed the app on a Splunk search head.
The python script runs since the restart of the Splunk instance as a subprocess

splunkd -p 8089 restart
 \_ [splunkd pid=54397] splunkd -p 8089 restart [process-runner]
 \_ mongod --dbpath=......./mongo --port=8191 --timeStampFormat=is
 \_ /opt/kfw/splunk/bin/python -O ....splunk/lib/python2.7/site-packages/splunk/appserver/mr
 \_...../splunk/bin/splunkd instrument-resource-usage -p 8089
\_ python ..../splunk/etc/apps/website_monitoring/bin/web_ping.py

The script does not change his work past I changed the configuration in web.conf

My question: How can I restart the script?
A: kill -1 PID destoroyed the process.

MuS
Legend

Hi thomas.unger_extern,

while in the Website Availability Check App goto Settings - Data inputs » Website Availability Check and enable or disable any input listed there. This will restart the web_ping.py script which you can see in the _internal index of Splunk:

10-30-2015 15:02:41.984 +1300 INFO  ExecProcessor - New scheduled exec process: python /opt/splunk/etc/apps/website_monitoring/bin/web_ping.py
10-30-2015 15:02:41.983 +1300 INFO  ExecProcessor - Removing status item "/opt/splunk/etc/apps/website_monitoring/bin/web_ping.py (isModInput=yes)

You can also check the process on the OS level before the data inputs change it was:

MuS   3990  3989  0 14:34 ?        00:00:02 python /opt/splunk/etc/apps/website_monitoring/bin/web_ping.py

after the change it is:

MuS  10835 10834  4 15:02 ?        00:00:00 python /opt/splunk/etc/apps/website_monitoring/bin/web_ping.py

Hope this helps ...

cheers, MuS

0 Karma

thomas_unger_ex
Explorer

Ok, thank you for this hint.

But I can't reproduce this.
If I disable and reenable a Data Input in "Web available Check" I got.

Error occurred attempting to enable our service public......de/....-Light: .
In OS the ps -... out told me the the old date to.,

It look's that the modular input are not correctly installed on our search head. Also the web........log are not in splunk (index _internal) it self monitored. ;-(

0 Karma

MuS
Legend

You get Error occurred attempting to enable our service public......de/....-Light: . .... Are you on Splunk Light?

0 Karma

thomas_unger_ex
Explorer

Splunk light? No.. It's our Splunk 6.2 enterprise environment..

I've been installed the website monitor app on our search head.
It's not the index server.
But you / we are in the right direction. I think this issue is a problem between type of server, search head or index server .
I found some more things. The modular input of this app displays not the indexes wich are from the indexer provided. I can't also take the modular inputs with REST call. But the installation was successful.

I don't know where are the difference search head / Index server for this app and how I can fix it.

0 Karma

MuS
Legend

Maybe you have to ping @LukeMurphey for help on this topic.....

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

More Ways To Control Your Costs With Archived Metrics | Register for Tech Talk

Tuesday, May 14, 2024  |  11AM PT / 2PM ET Register to Attend Join us for this Tech Talk and learn how to ...

.conf24 | Personalize your .conf experience with Learning Paths!

Personalize your .conf24 Experience Learning paths allow you to level up your skill sets and dive deeper ...

Threat Hunting Unlocked: How to Uplevel Your Threat Hunting With the PEAK Framework ...

WATCH NOWAs AI starts tackling low level alerts, it's more critical than ever to uplevel your threat hunting ...