All Apps and Add-ons

Format of Splunk_TA_nix cpu.sh

deepak02
Path Finder

Hi,

I have installed the add on Splunk_TA_nix.

I have attached the output I am seeing on Splunk from the add on.
alt text

Can you please explain the format? What do each of the fields mean?

Thanks,
Deepak

Tags (1)
0 Karma
1 Solution

woodcock
Esteemed Legend

The CPU field is the CPU core, pctUser is the fraction of time the core spent handling commands given by actual users (not system processes/dameons), pctNice is the fractionof time the core spent being "nice" (yielding a running process for a higher priority process), pctSystem is the fraction of time the core spent handling non-user (system) commands, pctIowait is the fraction of time the core spent waiting for disk or port I/O, pctIdleis the fraction of time the core spent waiting for something to do.

View solution in original post

0 Karma

woodcock
Esteemed Legend

The CPU field is the CPU core, pctUser is the fraction of time the core spent handling commands given by actual users (not system processes/dameons), pctNice is the fractionof time the core spent being "nice" (yielding a running process for a higher priority process), pctSystem is the fraction of time the core spent handling non-user (system) commands, pctIowait is the fraction of time the core spent waiting for disk or port I/O, pctIdleis the fraction of time the core spent waiting for something to do.

0 Karma

deepak02
Path Finder

Thankyou.

Is fraction of time = percentage?

If pctUser is 1.76, does it mean that the core spent 1.76% of the time handling commands by users?

0 Karma

woodcock
Esteemed Legend

Yes, every row should add up (roughly) to 100%.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Splunk APM: New Product Features + Community Office Hours Recap!

Howdy Splunk Community! Over the past few months, we’ve had a lot going on in the world of Splunk Application ...

Index This | Forward, I’m heavy; backward, I’m not. What am I?

April 2024 Edition Hayyy Splunk Education Enthusiasts and the Eternally Curious!  We’re back with another ...

A Guide To Cloud Migration Success

As enterprises’ rapid expansion to the cloud continues, IT leaders are continuously looking for ways to focus ...