All Apps and Add-ons

Error on maclookup command -- netaddr not found.

nysdanharrison
Engager

Trying to use the maclookup command offline and getting the error:
command="maclookup",: failed to use the netaddr module!
Using version 2.5.2 to TA-maclookup on splunk 7.2.5.1. Have installed the python netaddr module on the system python and have rebooted, still not working. Works in online mode, but that's not a long-term solution that will work in our enviornment.

chris
Motivator

We have the same issue. I think the problem is, that the TA is not designed to fail in a safe way. The error you see in the ui is rather generic.

You can easily change the behaviour by editing the maclookup.py file.

except Exception as e:
            logger.error( 'failed to use the netaddr module!' )

#splunk.Intersplunk.generateErrorResults(': failed to use the netaddr module!')
            #exit()

line['vendor']="not found"
            line['maclookup_error']=str(e)
            list.append(line)

You will get a hint about the error in the maclookup_error field, if the lookup is not succesful in offline mode.
@MuS: You wouldn't happen to have time to change the behaviour?

Regards
Chris

MuS
Legend

Sorry I missed that question in the first place 😞

I will have a look today

cheers, MuS

MuS
Legend

Updated version on https://github.com/M-u-S/TA-maclookup available, apps.splunk.com will take a few hours/days 😉

cheers, MuS

chris
Motivator

Thank you.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Splunk APM: New Product Features + Community Office Hours Recap!

Howdy Splunk Community! Over the past few months, we’ve had a lot going on in the world of Splunk Application ...

Index This | Forward, I’m heavy; backward, I’m not. What am I?

April 2024 Edition Hayyy Splunk Education Enthusiasts and the Eternally Curious!  We’re back with another ...

A Guide To Cloud Migration Success

As enterprises’ rapid expansion to the cloud continues, IT leaders are continuously looking for ways to focus ...