Splunk Search

Timechart search and subsearch together

tferro999

I'm trying to graph the total number of hits to our website alongside the total number of hits to a subset of pages within the site. I've seen a few examples using eval, stats, and append, but can't seem to make anything work

Here is what I have so far.....

index="iis_logs" 
| eval SearchNumber="cs_uri_stem=/site1* OR cs_uri_stem=/site1a*"
| stats count(cs_uri_stem) by SearchNumber 
| append [search index="iis_logs" 
| eval SearchNumber=
"cs_uri_stem="*subsite1*" OR
cs_uri_stem="*subsite2*" OR
cs_uri_stem="*subsite3*" OR
cs_uri_stem="*subsite4*""
| stats count(cs_uri_stem)]
| timechart span=1h count by SearchNumber
Tags (3)
0 Karma

tferro999

Thanks Hiroshi, that did the trick.

I have a new issue regarding the size of the subsearch. I received a warning that the subsearch was taking longer than 60 secs so I added "maxtime=3660" to resolve that issue.

Now I am getting an error that the subsearch has exceeded 50,000 results so it is being truncated.

Is there a way to modify this search to avoid using a subsearch?

0 Karma

HiroshiSatoh
Champion

I have fixed in inferred from the statement of your search.

index="iis_logs" (cs_uri_stem="/site1" OR cs_uri_stem="/site1a")|
eval SearchNumber="site1" | append [search index="iis_logs" (cs_uri_stem="subsite1" OR cs_uri_stem="subsite2" OR cs_uri_stem="subsite3" OR cs_uri_stem="subsite4")| eval SearchNumber="subsite" ] | timechart span=1h count by SearchNumber

(result)
_time site1 subsite
13/10/16 02:00 100 200
13/10/16 03:00 300 400

0 Karma

HiroshiSatoh
Champion

Sub search is not required.

index="iis_logs" (cs_uri_stem="/site1" OR cs_uri_stem="/site1a" OR cs_uri_stem="subsite1" OR cs_uri_stem="subsite2" OR cs_uri_stem="subsite3" OR cs_uri_stem="subsite4")|
eval SearchNumber=case(cs_uri_stem=="/site1","site1",cs_uri_stem=="/site1a","site1",cs_uri_stem=="subsite1","subsite",cs_uri_stem=="subsite2","subsite",cs_uri_stem=="subsite3","subsite",cs_uri_stem=="subsite4","subsite") |
| timechart span=1h count by SearchNumber

0 Karma

tferro999

Thanks Hiroshi, that did the trick.

I have a new issue regarding the size of the subsearch. I received a warning that the subsearch was taking longer than 60 secs so I added "maxtime=3660" to resolve that issue.

Now I am getting an error that the subsearch has exceeded 50,000 results so it is being truncated.

Is there a way to modify this search to avoid using a subsearch?

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Combine Multiline Logs into a Single Event with SOCK - a Guide for Advanced Users

This article is the continuation of the “Combine multiline logs into a single event with SOCK - a step-by-step ...

Everything Community at .conf24!

You may have seen mention of the .conf Community Zone 'round these parts and found yourself wondering what ...

Index This | I’m short for "configuration file.” What am I?

May 2024 Edition Hayyy Splunk Education Enthusiasts and the Eternally Curious!  We’re back with a Special ...