Splunk Search

Regex from EventCode 7035

MrWh1t3
Path Finder

I am trying to create a regex that will parse a portion of a sentence within a Windows Log event.

As an example, EventCode=7035 generates the following:

The Network Location Awareness (NLA) service was.....sent a start
The Network Connection service was....sent a stop
The HTTP service was....sent a start
The HTTP service was....sent a stop
etc...

What I would like to parse out is, just the information between "The" and "service" and also the words start or stop.

That way I can build a list of services there were started or stopped.

So far I have:

EventCode=7035 | dedup Message | rex field=Message "(?i)="The (.*?) service .*? (start|stop)"

It doesn't seem to be working like I want. I would like it to output into table format along with the ComputerName Extracted_Service_Name and whether or not it was started or stopped.

Thoughts on this?

Tags (2)
0 Karma
1 Solution

lguinn2
Legend

Try this:

EventCode=7035 
| dedup Message 
| rex field=Message "The (?<Extracted_Service_Name>.*?) service was .*? sent a (?<Action>start|stop)"
| table ComputerName Extracted_Service_Name Action

View solution in original post

0 Karma

lguinn2
Legend

Another concern I have - what if a service was started and stopped several times within your search time range? Because you are de-duping the Message, you would only see one start and one stop. Is this what you want? It would also be possible to count the number of starts/stops if you didn't dedup...

0 Karma

lguinn2
Legend

Try this:

EventCode=7035 
| dedup Message 
| rex field=Message "The (?<Extracted_Service_Name>.*?) service was .*? sent a (?<Action>start|stop)"
0 Karma

lguinn2
Legend

To get rid of the blanks,

EventCode=7035
| dedup Message
| where Extracted_Service_Name!=null()

But can you show an example of an event where it extracted blanks? I wonder if the regular expression could be better...

0 Karma

MrWh1t3
Path Finder

It picks up a few "blank" Extracted_Service_Name, but I think this will be, ok. I really appreciate it. I also see where I was going wrong. Thanks a lot!!!

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Get ready to show some Splunk Certification swagger at .conf24!

Dive into the deep end of data by earning a Splunk Certification at .conf24. We're enticing you again this ...

Built-in Service Level Objectives Management to Bridge the Gap Between Service & ...

Now On-Demand Join us to learn more about how you can leverage Service Level Objectives (SLOs) and the new ...

Database Performance Sidebar Panel Now on APM Database Query Performance & Service ...

We’ve streamlined the troubleshooting experience for database-related service issues by adding a database ...