Splunk Search

Regex Look back two characters

hartfoml
Motivator

I am looking for the group name from the phonehome command.

I tried the auto extractor and it was only marginally helpful.

Here is the line to read:
POST /services/broker/phonehome/connection_xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx_xxxx_mysystem.com_mysystem_aa HTTP/1.0

The piece i am trying to find is the group name "aa" at the end of the string just before the \sHTTP/

I don't know how to right a regex to look back from the HTTP to find the two group letters. (always only two letters)

Any help would be great

Tags (1)
0 Karma
1 Solution

wpreston
Motivator

If it is always only two letters, and they are always lowercase, the following should work:

(?<GroupName>[a-z]{2})\sHTTP

You can add A-Z inside the [] if they could be uppercase letters. If you want to try this extraction in Splunk, try:

...your search... | rex "(?<GroupName>[a-z]{2})\sHTTP"

View solution in original post

wpreston
Motivator

If it is always only two letters, and they are always lowercase, the following should work:

(?<GroupName>[a-z]{2})\sHTTP

You can add A-Z inside the [] if they could be uppercase letters. If you want to try this extraction in Splunk, try:

...your search... | rex "(?<GroupName>[a-z]{2})\sHTTP"

hartfoml
Motivator

this is great thanks

0 Karma

wpreston
Motivator

Sure, not a problem. Using the sample event, this regex should work to extract both fields:

\_(?<SystemName>[^\_]+)\_(?<GroupName>[a-z]{2})\sHTTP

hartfoml
Motivator

Thanks for the help.

If you don't mind can you please help with the regex to extract the "mysystem" name just before the _aa

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Troubleshooting the OpenTelemetry Collector

In this tech talk, you’ll learn how to troubleshoot the OpenTelemetry collector - from checking the ...

Adoption of Infrastructure Monitoring at Splunk

Splunk's Growth Engineering team showcases one of their first Splunk product adoption-Splunk Infrastructure ...

Modern way of developing distributed application using OTel

Recently, I had the opportunity to work on a complex microservice using Spring boot and Quarkus to develop a ...