Splunk Search

I have a search using a field I created and it produces results, but why is an email not sent when I make it an alert?

omuelle1
Communicator

Hi Splunk Users,

I created an alert using a field that I created and I only want to receive alerts where that field (it is a time stamp) is older than 2 days:

index = wms "ReprocessCICOProcessor for login" AND "Failed while reprocessing the cico"  Looking_time=* | eval testDate=strptime(Looking_time,"%Y-%m-%d")
| where testDate < relative_time(now(),"-2d@d")

The search works and it gives results when tested in the search app. I made sure that the field has the right permissions and had another user test it and it does work as well.

However, when I create an alert using this search, it will not send emails when the error occurs.

When I click "View Recent" under Actions in "Searches, Reports, and Alerts", I see the that the search is at 100%, but it still says it is waiting to finish, so I am thinking somehow something is wrong in my search. However, when I use the search the search without the alert, it yields results.

I have tried several settings in my alert and it worked when I used the search like this:

index = wms "ReprocessCICOProcessor for login" AND "Failed while reprocessing the cico"  Looking_time=* 

However, it does not work when I give the | eval part:

index = wms "ReprocessCICOProcessor for login" AND "Failed while reprocessing the cico"  Looking_time=* | eval testDate=strptime(Looking_time,"%Y-%m-%d")
 | where testDate < relative_time(now(),"-2d@d")

Thanks for your help!

Oliver

0 Karma
1 Solution

somesoni2
Revered Legend

Try something like this

index = wms "ReprocessCICOProcessor for login" AND "Failed while reprocessing the cico"  Looking_time=* 
 | where strptime(Looking_time,"%Y-%m-%d")< relative_time(now(),"-2d@d")

OR (I personally like this method)

index = wms "ReprocessCICOProcessor for login" AND "Failed while reprocessing the cico"  [ |gentimes start=-1 | eval Looking_time=strftime(relative_time(now(),"-2d@d"),"%Y-%m-%d") | table Looking_time]

View solution in original post

somesoni2
Revered Legend

Try something like this

| where strptime(Looking_time,"%Y-%m-%d")< relative_time(now(),"-2d@d")

OR (I personally like this method)

index = wms "ReprocessCICOProcessor for login" AND "Failed while reprocessing the cico"  [ |gentimes start=-1 | eval Looking_time=strftime(relative_time(now(),"-2d@d"),"%Y-%m-%d") | table Looking_time]

omuelle1
Communicator

Thank you, those searches work as well. I don't why but the alert is sending now with the old search as well..

0 Karma

woodcock
Esteemed Legend

Be sure to click "Accept".

0 Karma

aholzer
Motivator

Make sure you have configured the email settings on the Search Head running the search: Settings > Sever Settings > Email Settings

Hope this helps

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Index This | I’m short for "configuration file.” What am I?

May 2024 Edition Hayyy Splunk Education Enthusiasts and the Eternally Curious!  We’re back with a Special ...

New Articles from Academic Learning Partners, Help Expand Lantern’s Use Case Library, ...

Splunk Lantern is a Splunk customer success center that provides advice from Splunk experts on valuable data ...

Your Guide to SPL2 at .conf24!

So, you’re headed to .conf24? You’re in for a good time. Las Vegas weather is just *chef’s kiss* beautiful in ...