Splunk Search

How to rename an operation field which is being computed from json (message log)?

Anu1184
Explorer

I am retrieving operation details like operation name, total time etc from json message log coming as a part of splunk search event.  I want to have a custom name of the operation which was extracted from json data.

Current Result:-

Operation Total time
PREDICT: A1: B1: C1 100
PREDICT: A2: B2: C2 200
PREDICT: A3: B3: C3 300
PREDICT: A4: B4: C4 400

Expected Result:-

Operation Total time
Service_A1 100
Service_A2 200
Service_A3 300
Service_A4 400
Labels (1)
Tags (2)
0 Karma
1 Solution

gcusello
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Hi @Anu1184,

if the expected values for OPeration are in a limitated and fixed number of values, you can use eval case to rename them at the end of your search:

| eval Operation=case(Operation="PREDICT: A1: B1: C1","Service_A1", Operation="PREDICT: A2: B2: C2","Service_A2", Operation="PREDICT: A3: B3: C3", "Service_A3", Operation="PREDICT: A4: B4: C4","Service_A4")

Ciao.

Giuseppe

View solution in original post

Anu1184
Explorer

Thank You!!

0 Karma

gcusello
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Hi @Anu1184,

if the expected values for OPeration are in a limitated and fixed number of values, you can use eval case to rename them at the end of your search:

| eval Operation=case(Operation="PREDICT: A1: B1: C1","Service_A1", Operation="PREDICT: A2: B2: C2","Service_A2", Operation="PREDICT: A3: B3: C3", "Service_A3", Operation="PREDICT: A4: B4: C4","Service_A4")

Ciao.

Giuseppe

Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

.conf24 | Day 0

Hello Splunk Community! My name is Chris, and I'm based in Canberra, Australia's capital, and I travelled for ...

Enhance Security Visibility with Splunk Enterprise Security 7.1 through Threat ...

(view in My Videos)Struggling with alert fatigue, lack of context, and prioritization around security ...

Troubleshooting the OpenTelemetry Collector

In this tech talk, you’ll learn how to troubleshoot the OpenTelemetry collector - from checking the ...