Splunk Search

How to override the 20 line limit for the table view of embedded reports?

grundsch
Communicator

Hi,

It looks like a table view of an embedded report is limited to the first 20 results.
I couldn't find any place where to change this limit. Changing the view before embedding didn't help either...

Can you point me in the right direction?

Thanks,
Steph

1 Solution

efavreau
Motivator

@grundschFor the sake of the community, because this was never answered, here's a WORKAROUND.

Below is a run-anywhere example to show how to work around the 20 results limit for an embedded report. It's not intuitive. Run it one line at a time and get an understanding of it. The formatting with this approach is less than perfect, but if you can deal with it, this is a valid workaround. (solution graciously provided by @dmarling )

index=_internal sourcetype=splunkd_access user!="splunk-system-user" user!="-"
| head 30
| streamstats count as counter
| eval counter=counter-1
| bin counter span=10
| eval clowncar=user."~".method."~".clientip."~".bytes
| stats values(clowncar) as clowncar by counter
| rex field=clowncar "(?<user>[^~]*)~(?<method>[^~]*)~(?<clientip>[^~]*)~(?<bytes>[^~]*)"
| fields - clowncar counter

###

If this reply helps you, an upvote would be appreciated.

View solution in original post

0 Karma

efavreau
Motivator

@grundschFor the sake of the community, because this was never answered, here's a WORKAROUND.

Below is a run-anywhere example to show how to work around the 20 results limit for an embedded report. It's not intuitive. Run it one line at a time and get an understanding of it. The formatting with this approach is less than perfect, but if you can deal with it, this is a valid workaround. (solution graciously provided by @dmarling )

index=_internal sourcetype=splunkd_access user!="splunk-system-user" user!="-"
| head 30
| streamstats count as counter
| eval counter=counter-1
| bin counter span=10
| eval clowncar=user."~".method."~".clientip."~".bytes
| stats values(clowncar) as clowncar by counter
| rex field=clowncar "(?<user>[^~]*)~(?<method>[^~]*)~(?<clientip>[^~]*)~(?<bytes>[^~]*)"
| fields - clowncar counter

###

If this reply helps you, an upvote would be appreciated.
0 Karma

grundsch
Communicator

Nice idea of chunking results in 10 blocks of multivalued fields, and I didn't expected rex to behave like that on multivalued fileds, interesting!

I would use "list" instead of "values" to keep the order and maybe even duplicates (depends on your use case).

0 Karma

hettervik
Builder

I've found a workaround to this issue. The limit is 20 table rows, but there seems to be no limit in the number of multivalue fields in a single row. So, instead of say running | stats count by user | fields user, you can use | stats values(user) as users by index | fields users. It's not pretty, but it works.

0 Karma

sahr_m_lebbie
Engager

2020, still facing the same issue. Any help would be appreciated.,2020, Still same issue, unless someone has solved it.

0 Karma

lyc1986830

I still hit this issue in splunk 6.6.1. Is this bug fixed in any new version or any plan to fix this?

0 Karma

grundsch
Communicator

I've found in etc/system/default/ui-prefs.conf the following:

display.prefs.events.count = 20
display.prefs.statistics.count = 20

but changing it (in etc/system/local/ui-prefs.conf) didn't help...
any other idea? can we override it somewhere?

0 Karma

samarkumar
Path Finder

I got the same problem, it will be great if any one share the idea to resolve this issue.

0 Karma

Lindaiyu
Path Finder

I got the same problem, could anyone have solved it?
Thank you

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

More Ways To Control Your Costs With Archived Metrics | Register for Tech Talk

Tuesday, May 14, 2024  |  11AM PT / 2PM ET Register to Attend Join us for this Tech Talk and learn how to ...

.conf24 | Personalize your .conf experience with Learning Paths!

Personalize your .conf24 Experience Learning paths allow you to level up your skill sets and dive deeper ...

Threat Hunting Unlocked: How to Uplevel Your Threat Hunting With the PEAK Framework ...

WATCH NOWAs AI starts tackling low level alerts, it's more critical than ever to uplevel your threat hunting ...