Splunk Search

How to add a lapsed time to a field's timestamp

MeMilo09
Path Finder

Howdy,

Been researching on how to give time for the next sequential event to occur, but have not found a way. Lets say field X occurred and the next event to take place is field Y, but field Y is null  if under 24 hrs give Length_of_Time in min once Y happens.

Issue is if its the same day and Y still has not occurred following X -- , give X 24 hours to happen from the time field Y  happened before marking it as failure of error... So far this is what I have... 

|  eval X = strptime(StartTime,"%Y-%m-%d %H:%M:%S.%q"),
 Y =strptime(EndTime,"%Y-%m-%d %H:%M:%S.%6N")

note: 86400 is 24 hrs in seconds 

| eval Length_of_Time = if(isNull(Y)AND Y-X < 86400 AND 86400<=X,round((X-Y)/60,0))

Labels (3)
Tags (1)
0 Karma

ITWhisperer
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

It is unclear to me what you are trying to achieve here - if Y is null, what are you expecting from any further calculations involving Y? Assuming StartTime is a timestamp field, X will probably always be greater than 86400. Assuming you do have actual datetimes in X and Y, the description would suggest that Y occurs after X, so X-Y will be negative.

Please can you clarify, perhaps with some real examples of the event you are dealing with?

0 Karma

MeMilo09
Path Finder

Hi,

my bad for the confusion, I am temporary away from my work station and don’t have the actual code at the moment 

Y can take upto 24 hours to show up after x - making it null until the 24 hours complete. 

so I was thinking I could include a lapse of time of 24 hours after x took place. 

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Get the T-shirt to Prove You Survived Splunk University Bootcamp

As if Splunk University, in Las Vegas, in-person, with three days of bootcamps and labs weren’t enough, now ...

Introducing the Splunk Community Dashboard Challenge!

Welcome to Splunk Community Dashboard Challenge! This is your chance to showcase your skills in creating ...

Wondering How to Build Resiliency in the Cloud?

IT leaders are choosing Splunk Cloud as an ideal cloud transformation platform to drive business resilience,  ...