Splunk Search

How do I edit my regex to capture the shortname from a mix of FQDN and shortname host field entries?

renems
Communicator

I'm trying to create a new field based on the host field. The new field (hostname) should only contain the shortname. The host field is currently a mix of fqdn and shortnames:

server1.linux.splunk.co.uk
server2.linux.splunk.co.uk
server3
server4.linux.splunk.co.uk

So far, this comes close to what I'm trying to achieve:

| rex field=host "(?P<hostname>[^ ]+?)\."

Works great for all entries that actually do have a dot (.) in the text (number1, 2, 4). The ones without a dot (.) return blank. How do I also include the ones that don't need modification at all? (number 3)

Any help greatly appreciated!

0 Karma
1 Solution

ltrand
Contributor

It's too greedy to put against just a block of text, but as long as the field is sanitary, this should work:

(?P<hostname>[^.]+)

View solution in original post

ltrand
Contributor

It's too greedy to put against just a block of text, but as long as the field is sanitary, this should work:

(?P<hostname>[^.]+)

renems
Communicator

It does! Kudo's for you, my friend!

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Introducing the Splunk Community Dashboard Challenge!

Welcome to Splunk Community Dashboard Challenge! This is your chance to showcase your skills in creating ...

Wondering How to Build Resiliency in the Cloud?

IT leaders are choosing Splunk Cloud as an ideal cloud transformation platform to drive business resilience,  ...

Updated Data Management and AWS GDI Inventory in Splunk Observability

We’re making some changes to Data Management and Infrastructure Inventory for AWS. The Data Management page, ...