Splunk Search

How can one combine two fields with the same values- but different field names- to aggregate data from multiple sourcetypes?

amcb90
Engager

I have two fields with the same values but different field names.

index= network
sourcetype= firewall
The source IP field is "src"
sourcetype= logins
The source IP field is "src_ip"

I would like to be able to combine the results of both in a stats table to have a line item contain info from both sourcetypes:
example:

index=network sourcetype=firewall OR sourcetype=logins |(Whatever I need to do to combine two fields into one) | stats values(username) as Usernames, values(alert) as Alerts by (NEW_Source_IP_Field_Name)
0 Karma

kmorris_splunk
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

You could use coalesce in your search:

[YOUR BASE SEARCH]
| eval newfield=coalesce(field1,field2)

This will merge the values of both fields into one field.

Vijeta
Influencer

@ambc90 Try this -

index=network sourcetype=firewall OR sourcetype=logins |rename src_ip as src| stats values(username) as Usernames, values(alert) as Alerts by src

OR you can use

index=network sourcetype=firewall OR sourcetype=logins |eval src=coalesce(src,src_ip)| stats values(username) as Usernames, values(alert) as Alerts by src
0 Karma

Sukisen1981
Champion
0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Index This | I’m short for "configuration file.” What am I?

May 2024 Edition Hayyy Splunk Education Enthusiasts and the Eternally Curious!  We’re back with a Special ...

New Articles from Academic Learning Partners, Help Expand Lantern’s Use Case Library, ...

Splunk Lantern is a Splunk customer success center that provides advice from Splunk experts on valuable data ...

Your Guide to SPL2 at .conf24!

So, you’re headed to .conf24? You’re in for a good time. Las Vegas weather is just *chef’s kiss* beautiful in ...