Splunk Search

How can I pass field value as macro name

pradeepkumarg
Influencer

I have two macros with names yes and no

Now, I want to refer to these macros in my search query, but not by directly calling them with the name

My query looks something like below

...| eval FLAG=if(fieldA!=fieldb,yes,no) | `FLAG`

I want the FLAG field to be substituted with yes or no so that my corresponding macro is called.

With the above approach, I suppose it looks for a macro with the name FLAG.

How can I achieve this?

1 Solution

martin_mueller
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Macro substitution happens once before the search is started, so it cannot depend on field values.

What's in those macros? Maybe there's a different way to achieve whatever it is you're trying to do.

Edit: Here's what you can do. Define an eval-based macro fieldA_or_fieldB(1) like this:

if("$selection$"=="*", "fieldA", "fieldB")

Then change your search to this:

... | stats sum(total_amount) by `fieldA_or_fieldB($your_token$)`

That'll select fieldA if your token has been set to *, fieldB otherwise.

View solution in original post

martin_mueller
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Macro substitution happens once before the search is started, so it cannot depend on field values.

What's in those macros? Maybe there's a different way to achieve whatever it is you're trying to do.

Edit: Here's what you can do. Define an eval-based macro fieldA_or_fieldB(1) like this:

if("$selection$"=="*", "fieldA", "fieldB")

Then change your search to this:

... | stats sum(total_amount) by `fieldA_or_fieldB($your_token$)`

That'll select fieldA if your token has been set to *, fieldB otherwise.

pradeepkumarg
Influencer

Perfect. Thanks Martin!

0 Karma

martin_mueller
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Okay, you can use an eval-based macro to decide the field name - this works because you're not actually deciding based on a field value but rather on a token. That's known and unique before running the search, so the macro substitution works. I've added an example to the answer above.

0 Karma

pradeepkumarg
Influencer

Other panels in the dashboard as well use the same drop down to filter the data.

0 Karma

martin_mueller
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Is that the only purpose of the dropdown?

0 Karma

pradeepkumarg
Influencer

Hi Martin, here is my actual requirement.

I have a drop down in my dashboard. I want to change the search query of the panel based on the option selected from drop down.

If * (All) is selected from the drop down my search query should be ...| stats sum(total_amount) by fieldA

If any other value is selected from the drop down, my search query should be ..| stats sum(total_amount) by fieldB

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Splunk APM: New Product Features + Community Office Hours Recap!

Howdy Splunk Community! Over the past few months, we’ve had a lot going on in the world of Splunk Application ...

Index This | Forward, I’m heavy; backward, I’m not. What am I?

April 2024 Edition Hayyy Splunk Education Enthusiasts and the Eternally Curious!  We’re back with another ...

A Guide To Cloud Migration Success

As enterprises’ rapid expansion to the cloud continues, IT leaders are continuously looking for ways to focus ...