Splunk Search

Finding additional info about a value returned by max

cphair
Builder

I am looking at maximum processor usage by specific processes on a group of clients. By using stats max on my data (which contains host, instance, and % Processor Time fields), I can pull the max % Processor time that a given process reached on any client in the group. Is there a way to get Splunk to tell me which host (or record) that maximum came from? Ideally I'd like to be able to mouse over the entry in a bar graph and have it tell me something like "iexplore: 99%, host: foo1".

Tags (2)
0 Karma
1 Solution

Stephen_Sorkin
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

Yes, you can do this using the "sort" command, supposing the processor time is in a field called % Processor Time:

... | sort - "% Processor Time" | head 1 | table host instance "% Processor Time"

Now, you can make this more interesting by looking at the top per host:

... | dedup host sortby - "% Processor Time" | table host instance "% Processor Time"

View solution in original post

Stephen_Sorkin
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

Yes, you can do this using the "sort" command, supposing the processor time is in a field called % Processor Time:

... | sort - "% Processor Time" | head 1 | table host instance "% Processor Time"

Now, you can make this more interesting by looking at the top per host:

... | dedup host sortby - "% Processor Time" | table host instance "% Processor Time"

cphair
Builder

I used stats to split out the max by each host and instance, then used eval to create a new field (eval hostInstance = instance . ":" . host), then displayed the max value with the conjoined field. Inelegant but functional.

I think this is the way to go, though:

...| stats max(Value) as Max by instance,host | dedup instance sortby -Max

Still have to mess with numbered instances and case-sensitivity, but it's less ugly. Also, if you want to keep the top X readings per instance instead of the top 1, you can say "dedup X instance sortby -Max".

0 Karma

richprescott
Path Finder

What was the other way that you ended up using?

0 Karma

cphair
Builder

I ended up doing this another way, but I think this works too, so I'll mark it up. Thanks.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

More Ways To Control Your Costs With Archived Metrics | Register for Tech Talk

Tuesday, May 14, 2024  |  11AM PT / 2PM ET Register to Attend Join us for this Tech Talk and learn how to ...

.conf24 | Personalize your .conf experience with Learning Paths!

Personalize your .conf24 Experience Learning paths allow you to level up your skill sets and dive deeper ...

Threat Hunting Unlocked: How to Uplevel Your Threat Hunting With the PEAK Framework ...

WATCH NOWAs AI starts tackling low level alerts, it's more critical than ever to uplevel your threat hunting ...