Splunk Search

Chart, order, and bins: How to separate a chart according to an imposed order

BrentHetherwick
Explorer

I have some non-time-based data that I'd like to summarize using chart with a small number of bins.  For example,

<some search> | stats count as c by foo | sort -c | chart sum(c) by foo bins=10

"foo" is not numeric, so it automatically fails, but I don't want the bins to be determined by an intrinsic order on foo anyway: The bins should respect the order that comes from the sort command. Thus, in the chart, the first "bar" should represent the greatest decile of the "sort -c" command, the second, the second decile, and so on.

I can't figure out how to wrangle an order into the chart command or otherwise make it respect the sort and use that order as the basis for the separations into bins. Am I barking up the wrong tree here?

Labels (1)
0 Karma
1 Solution

ITWhisperer
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Try something like this

| stats count as c by foo
| sort - c
| eventstats count as foos
| eval binsize=ceil(foos/10)
| streamstats count as row
| eval foobin=1+floor((row-1)/binsize)
| chart sum(c) by foobin

View solution in original post

0 Karma

BrentHetherwick
Explorer

Yes, I do realize that my question isn't very well-formed. Let me provide an example, using 2 bins, instead of 10 for brevity:

Suppose my data has 10 lines where foo="A", 9 lines where foo="B", 8 lines where foo="C", and 7 lines where foo="D". Then

| stats count as c by foo | sort -c

should output

foo c
A   10
B   9
C   8
D   7 

What I want from the chart+bins command (for example) is something like this:

bins sum
bin1 19
bin2 15

...where bin1 is formed from A and B, since they have the top two c values and bin2 is C and D, as the least, and the sum value is sum(c).

0 Karma

ITWhisperer
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Try something like this

| sort - c
| eventstats count as foos
| eval binsize=ceil(foos/10)
| streamstats count as row
| eval foobin=1+floor((row-1)/binsize)
| chart sum(c) by foobin
0 Karma

BrentHetherwick
Explorer

That appears to be what I need. Thanks much.

0 Karma

ITWhisperer
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

It isn't clear what your expected result would look like - having said that, does this help?

| sort - c
| transpose 0 header_field=foo column_name=count
0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Database Performance Sidebar Panel Now on APM Database Query Performance & Service ...

We’ve streamlined the troubleshooting experience for database-related service issues by adding a database ...

IM Landing Page Filter - Now Available

We’ve added the capability for you to filter across the summary details on the main Infrastructure Monitoring ...

Dynamic Links from Alerts to IM Navigators - New in Observability Cloud

Splunk continues to improve the troubleshooting experience in Observability Cloud with this latest enhancement ...