Splunk Search

Are hidden characters breaking my joins?

ttovarzoll
Path Finder

I am trying to build an Alert for login failures in AWS CloudTrail. In general I have it working -- but my joins are missing some of the desired events.  Specifically, I am building an 'index' value consisting of the username+IP, e.g.

| eval user_IP = username + src_ip

but I now see that some seemingly-identical values are being evaluated as separate. For instance, when you click on the Selected Values view (left-side in the results) there will be 2 separate entries which -- at least on-screen -- appear to be identical.

WHAT THE POPUP SHOWS

user_IP
2 Values, 100% of events

Values                Count
firstuser172.31.1.1   2
firstuser172.31.1.1   1

I suspect there is a hidden character in the second Value. Or, maybe a trailing space (though there is none when I try adding each to the search).

----

How can I modify my 'eval' to generate values without hidden characters?

(I already tried adding a lower() function but without success)

Labels (1)
Tags (2)
0 Karma
1 Solution

yuanliu
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

One way to check is to bracket the string.

| eval user_IP = ">" . username . src_ip . "<"

View solution in original post

PickleRick
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

If I remember correctly there were some issues with leading/trailing spaces when using the interesting fields @yuanliu 's idea is a way to verify it.

yuanliu
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

One way to check is to bracket the string.

| eval user_IP = ">" . username . src_ip . "<"

ttovarzoll
Path Finder

Aha! yes, that's a good trick. At first I didn't understand how that would fix the problem but then I realized that it was the perfect troubleshooting step -- and it demonstrated that there was a trailing space.

So, I have now modified my eval statement and confirmed that I am now receiving the missing events

| eval user_IP = username . trim(src_ip)

I also had to add matching trim() statements to several other references to 'username' throughout the SPL query.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Adoption of Infrastructure Monitoring at Splunk

Splunk's Growth Engineering team showcases one of their first Splunk product adoption-Splunk Infrastructure ...

Modern way of developing distributed application using OTel

Recently, I had the opportunity to work on a complex microservice using Spring boot and Quarkus to develop a ...

Enterprise Security Content Update (ESCU) | New Releases

Last month, the Splunk Threat Research Team had 3 releases of new security content via the Enterprise Security ...