Splunk Enterprise

Email automation issue

sheamus69
Communicator

Hi,

I have put together a correlation which looks as user account lockouts, and have had it to send an email (using the GUI Adaptive Response Actions).

My issue is that if the correlation detects a single lockout within it's search window, it will generate the email, however, if there are multiple results returned, it fails to send out emails.

Example correlation search:

| tstats summariesonly=true count earliest(_time) as FirstSeen latest(_time) as LastSeen values(All_Changes.src) as Computer values(All_Changes.Account_Management.dest_nt_domain) as All_Changes.Account_Management.dest_nt_domain
    from datamodel=Change 
    where All_Changes.result_id=4740 All_Changes.Account_Management.src_nt_domain=mydomain
    by  All_Changes.Account_Management.src_nt_domain  All_Changes.user All_Changes.result_id All_Changes.result All_Changes.signature 
| eval FirstSeen=strftime(FirstSeen,"%Y-%m-%d %H:%M.%S"), LastSeen=strftime(LastSeen,"%Y-%m-%d %H:%M.%S") 
| rename All_Changes.* as * 
| rename Account_Management.* as * 
| `thales_get_asset(dest_nt_domain)` 
| `get_identity4events(user)`
| table FirstSeen LastSeen src_nt_domain dest_nt_domain user_original user_first user_email Computer result_id result signature count Computer_description Computer_ip Computer_lookup_source Computer_owner

With the Email Adaptive response configured something like so:

To: $result.user_email$

Subject: $name$ - $result.user_original$

Body:

Hi $result.user_first$,

[some explanation stuff here]

Between $result.FirstSeen$ and $result.LastSeen$, your account $result.user_original$ has been locked out $result.count$ times.

These account lockouts occurred on the following systems:

$result.dest_nt_domain$

[blah blah etc]

Any idea what I am doing wrong here, any advice on how to progress, etc?

Cheers,

Sheamus

Labels (1)
0 Karma
1 Solution

sheamus69
Communicator

OK, I managed to get this working through using Alerts instead of Correlation searches.

I have no idea why using a Correlation wouldn't work, presumably they work subtly different to alerts under the hood?

So, in short, to get this working I saved my main search as an alert, with a scheduled run time.  Within the scheduled search settings there was an option to Trigger for each event - selecting this fixed my issue.

Sheamus

View solution in original post

0 Karma

sheamus69
Communicator

OK, I managed to get this working through using Alerts instead of Correlation searches.

I have no idea why using a Correlation wouldn't work, presumably they work subtly different to alerts under the hood?

So, in short, to get this working I saved my main search as an alert, with a scheduled run time.  Within the scheduled search settings there was an option to Trigger for each event - selecting this fixed my issue.

Sheamus

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Database Performance Sidebar Panel Now on APM Database Query Performance & Service ...

We’ve streamlined the troubleshooting experience for database-related service issues by adding a database ...

IM Landing Page Filter - Now Available

We’ve added the capability for you to filter across the summary details on the main Infrastructure Monitoring ...

Dynamic Links from Alerts to IM Navigators - New in Observability Cloud

Splunk continues to improve the troubleshooting experience in Observability Cloud with this latest enhancement ...