Security

Splunk DB Connect 1: Why am I getting Oracle DB connection Error "ORA-01882: timezone region not found"?

muralianup
Communicator

After going through some of the posts here, I am still facing the same issue. Basically trying to connect to an Oracle DB. Got past the error when I unchecked the "Validate Connection", but when I try to get the table information from the DB Connect, I am getting the error:

command="dbinfo", Error getting database connection: ORA-00604: error occurred at recursive SQL level 1 ORA-01882: timezone region not found

The host & DB has timezone set to Japan. I've tried adding combinations like TZ=JST & TZ=Asia/Tokyo to the /dbx/local/props.conf & /dbx/local/props.conf as follows:

[host::serverjap]
TZ = JST 

Restarted Splunk, no luck, then changed the TZ to TZ=Asia/Tokyo, restarted Splunk again.

Any suggestions ?

gsoros
Engager

I'm having the exact same problem but using DB Connect 2 and Spunk v6.2.2

0 Karma

jkat54
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

muralianup
Communicator

Yes I did. The thing is, I already have a dozen of other DBs connected to Splunk (MSSql & Oracle) which didn't have any problem like this. I do not want to make any changes in the jdbc settings or something within Splunk. I read adding TZ variable in props.conf should sort the issue but seems like It's not. I am running version 6.0 by the way.

0 Karma

gsoros
Engager

From the stackoverflow answer, adding "-Duser.timezone=GMT" to the JVM Options under Settings in the App fixed the problem.

jkat54
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Thanks for the up vote gsoros. Glad I could help, sorry to make you read but you found exactly what I was hoping you would find. Pat yourself on the back!

0 Karma

muralianup
Communicator

It does. But when I go to the DBConnect & select the DB to see the table content, its waiting forever to complete; not returning any DB table contents..yet.. Even if I specify a table name that exists in that DB.
But any idea if the timestamp will be in the GMT afterwards ?

0 Karma

jkat54
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Oracle will change all the timestamps to GMT.

Can you mark this answer as correct to help others quickly find solutions?

0 Karma

muralianup
Communicator

Timestamp conversion to GMT will be an issue for us. But yes, it does get rid of the timezone error, but as I said its not returning any tables from the DB Connect's DB Info Option.

0 Karma

jkat54
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Would you prefer "-Duser.timezone=EST"?

You dont have to use GMT, you can export from ORA in any timezone.

Anyways, you have a new question now and we've resolved the original error message you were receiving.

0 Karma

jkat54
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

@muralianuo did this answer your question? If so can you mark it as the answer please?

0 Karma

ppablo
Retired

Hi @muralianup

Just gathering more information for users in the community to help you, but are you using DB Connect 1 or DB Connect 2? You didn't specify in your post.

0 Karma

muralianup
Communicator

Sorry, forgot. I am using DB Connect 1. Because of the error, I created the inputs.conf entry manually, updated props.conf (in /dbx/local, /dbx/default, /search/props.conf with the TZ vaule as mentioned in my previous post. Restarted Splunk each time. But still cannot connect to the DB due to TimeZone error.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Database Performance Sidebar Panel Now on APM Database Query Performance & Service ...

We’ve streamlined the troubleshooting experience for database-related service issues by adding a database ...

IM Landing Page Filter - Now Available

We’ve added the capability for you to filter across the summary details on the main Infrastructure Monitoring ...

Dynamic Links from Alerts to IM Navigators - New in Observability Cloud

Splunk continues to improve the troubleshooting experience in Observability Cloud with this latest enhancement ...