Monitoring Splunk

Getting Drive Specific Disk space information from hosts

dar104
Explorer

I am using the universal forwarder on Windows Servers as I thought it would gather the needed information. However, it seems it only reports total disk space, _total, and not on the individual drives. Is there a way I can capture individual drives with perfmon or should I revert to WMI polling, which is a pain in our envrironment due to getting a service AD account?

If I have to switch to WMI polling is there any point in leaving the universal forwarder on the windows servers to collect information?

Any help would be appreciated.

Tags (2)
0 Karma
1 Solution

dar104
Explorer

I found out you need to enable the counter in perfmon in the perfmon.conf file in etc/system/local on the host. I added the following and I was able to get perfmon to work.

[PERFMON:FreeDiskSpace]
counters = Free Megabytes;% Free Space
disabled = 0
instances = *
interval = 10
object = LogicalDisk

View solution in original post

0 Karma

mark_chuman
Path Finder

This worked for me!

index=perfstats sourcetype=PerfmonMk* host=servername C | timechart avg("%_Free_Space") by host

0 Karma

feickertmd
Communicator

dar104,

I tried what you suggested, and I am not seeing results by drive letter. Can you contact me to discuss? I'd like to know better what to expect.

marc.feickert@optum.com

0 Karma

dar104
Explorer

I found out you need to enable the counter in perfmon in the perfmon.conf file in etc/system/local on the host. I added the following and I was able to get perfmon to work.

[PERFMON:FreeDiskSpace]
counters = Free Megabytes;% Free Space
disabled = 0
instances = *
interval = 10
object = LogicalDisk

0 Karma

Drainy
Champion

Yes!
You can get the UF to do the polling for your, assuming it is running under an account with admin permissions. I used to use a VBS script to perform the WMI query locally and the results of the query would be forwarded onto the indexer, a nice simple way to achieve what you want.

0 Karma

dar104
Explorer

All I was getting from the forwarder was total disk space % instead of individual drives. I think I figured out a solution. I am testing now. If it works I will put results here.

Thanks for the response.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Stay Connected: Your Guide to May Tech Talks, Office Hours, and Webinars!

Take a look below to explore our upcoming Community Office Hours, Tech Talks, and Webinars this month. This ...

They're back! Join the SplunkTrust and MVP at .conf24

With our highly anticipated annual conference, .conf, comes the fez-wearers you can trust! The SplunkTrust, as ...

Enterprise Security Content Update (ESCU) | New Releases

Last month, the Splunk Threat Research Team had two releases of new security content via the Enterprise ...