Getting Data In

json sourcetype

amanteja
Path Finder

We are logging json formatted data in our logfiles that are fed into splunk, While sending the data we use sourcetype=log4j.

Splunk is able to correctly infer the messages and shows them in the UI as json events that are clickable. However, some records despite being fully qualified json appear as text. These events show up in the UI as clear text and many Json messages are contained in that event. Why does this happen? How can we avoid this?

Tags (3)
0 Karma
1 Solution

amanteja
Path Finder

I figured that this was because the server was truncating the log event. I changed the truncate value in etc/system/local/props.conf and it solved the problem.

View solution in original post

0 Karma

amanteja
Path Finder

I figured that this was because the server was truncating the log event. I changed the truncate value in etc/system/local/props.conf and it solved the problem.

0 Karma

chaker
Contributor

You may need to post an example of the event that extracts correctly, and the one that does not.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Index This | I’m short for "configuration file.” What am I?

May 2024 Edition Hayyy Splunk Education Enthusiasts and the Eternally Curious!  We’re back with a Special ...

New Articles from Academic Learning Partners, Help Expand Lantern’s Use Case Library, ...

Splunk Lantern is a Splunk customer success center that provides advice from Splunk experts on valuable data ...

Your Guide to SPL2 at .conf24!

So, you’re headed to .conf24? You’re in for a good time. Las Vegas weather is just *chef’s kiss* beautiful in ...