Getting Data In

Universal Forwarder - AuditTrailManager - Private key error - No such file or directory

season88481
Contributor

Hi guys,

I got these error on pretty much all of my splunk universal forwarder.

03-06-2017 12:25:27.743 +1300 ERROR AuditTrailManager - Private key error Error opening /opt/splunkforwarder/etc/auth/audit/private.pem: No such file or directory
03-06-2017 12:25:07.360 +1300 WARN AuditTrailManager - Private key file does not exist but is defined in audit.conf - no local event signing will take place. You can create auditTrail keys if necessary by running splunk createssl audit-keys

I also found this had been marked as a known bug: SPL-119172, SPL-122917, SPL-122918
http://docs.splunk.com/Documentation/Splunk/6.4.6/ReleaseNotes/6.4.2

So my question is, is there any impact on this known bug? And what is the work around?

0 Karma
1 Solution

jcrabb_splunk
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

As you mentioned this is a bug. This message should be benign, particularly on a forwarder. However, if you need the two keys that are missing to utilize the signedAudit = true stanzas in inputs.conf, create the audit keys by issuing the following command from $SPLUNK_HOME/bin/:

./splunk createssl audit-keys

OR

if you don't need to sign any events, remove the [auditTrail] stanza from $SPLUNK_HOME/etc/system/default/audit.conf.

Jacob
Sr. Technical Support Engineer

View solution in original post

jcrabb_splunk
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

As you mentioned this is a bug. This message should be benign, particularly on a forwarder. However, if you need the two keys that are missing to utilize the signedAudit = true stanzas in inputs.conf, create the audit keys by issuing the following command from $SPLUNK_HOME/bin/:

./splunk createssl audit-keys

OR

if you don't need to sign any events, remove the [auditTrail] stanza from $SPLUNK_HOME/etc/system/default/audit.conf.

Jacob
Sr. Technical Support Engineer

season88481
Contributor

Thanks jcrabb, that is really helpful!

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

More Ways To Control Your Costs With Archived Metrics | Register for Tech Talk

Tuesday, May 14, 2024  |  11AM PT / 2PM ET Register to Attend Join us for this Tech Talk and learn how to ...

.conf24 | Personalize your .conf experience with Learning Paths!

Personalize your .conf24 Experience Learning paths allow you to level up your skill sets and dive deeper ...

Threat Hunting Unlocked: How to Uplevel Your Threat Hunting With the PEAK Framework ...

WATCH NOWAs AI starts tackling low level alerts, it's more critical than ever to uplevel your threat hunting ...