Getting Data In

Is there anything I can do upstream to keep field names with dots?

blurblebot
Communicator

I've made a stupid.

I tried to make all of my field names a little more heirarchical and went to a field.subfield.subsubfield naming convention for my fields. Splunk no likey. A search for fun.time yields results, but fun.time=* yields none and the sidebar converts my dots to underscores.

Is there anything I can do upstream to keep these dots in my field names without all the ensuing funk?

Thanks!

-S

Labels (1)
1 Solution

slierninja
Communicator

Another gotcha is when using eval with the KV_MODE=xml in your props.conf for your sourcetype, you have to use the spath command to create new fields since the dots have a concatenation meaning.

0 Karma

blurblebot
Communicator

mattymo
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

this needs an update!

I am sending index time fields ( kubernetes annotations ) and am able to search them with some considerations around how the SPL is crafted. It does work, in case anyone circles back in 2020

- MattyMo

mattymo
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

Im back in 2021 🙂

The "considerations around how SPL is crafted" I alluded to means you either need to search using indexed field syntax, like 

k8s.cluster.name::foo

or you need to configure fields.conf with your indexed fields as described in docs

https://docs.splunk.com/Documentation/Splunk/8.2.4/Data/Configureindex-timefieldextraction#Where_to_...

Or finally, as we currently do in Cloud, presumably as a tradeoff for customer experience vs performance worries...

always_include_indexedfield_lispy = <boolean>
* Whether or not search always looks for a field that does not have
  "INDEXED = true" set in fields.conf using both the indexed and non-
  indexed forms.
* If set to "true", when searching for <field>=<value>, the lexicon is
  searched for both "<field>::<value>" and "<value>".
* If set to "false", when searching for <field>=<val>, the lexicon is
  searched only for "<value>".
* Set to "true" if you have fields that are sometimes indexed and
  sometimes not indexed.
* For field names that are always indexed, it is much better
  for performance to set "INDEXED = true" in fields.conf for
  that field instead.
* Default: false

https://docs.splunk.com/Documentation/Splunk/8.2.4/Admin/Limitsconf#:~:text=always_include_indexedfi...

As always, being lazy is fun, but will cost perf. Setting the fields.conf is definitely preferable, especially when the fields don't change very much and just take a little bit of up front work/planning. 

choose your weapon wisely, friends...

- MattyMo
0 Karma

araitz
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

Hi! Here is something from the documentation that you might find useful.

http://www.splunk.com/base/Documentation/4.1.5/Admin/Transformsconf

CLEAN_KEYS = <bool>
* Option controlling whether the keys extracted at search time are cleaned. Key cleaning
  is defined as the replacement of non-alphanumeric characters with underscores. Leading 
  underscores and numbers are stripped.
* Defaults to true

ftk
Motivator

Why not use underscores instead of dots in your field names? 🙂

ftk
Motivator

I like that reply of yours.

0 Karma

blurblebot
Communicator

Because I want dots! Dots are pretty and dots are awesome! This is empirically* true. If I wanted underscores, I wouldn't have asked the question and would have instead said, "Hooray! I have an excuse to use underscores!" But that's not the case, and now I either need a .conf change I can make, or I'm going to have to pout and swing my arms around.

*Empirically is now a synonym for subjectively. This statement is beyond refudiation.

Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Splunk APM: New Product Features + Community Office Hours Recap!

Howdy Splunk Community! Over the past few months, we’ve had a lot going on in the world of Splunk Application ...

Index This | Forward, I’m heavy; backward, I’m not. What am I?

April 2024 Edition Hayyy Splunk Education Enthusiasts and the Eternally Curious!  We’re back with another ...

A Guide To Cloud Migration Success

As enterprises’ rapid expansion to the cloud continues, IT leaders are continuously looking for ways to focus ...