Deployment Architecture

How you do create the merged_lexicon.lex after a bucket restore?

Lowell
Super Champion

How do you force the creation of the merged_lexicon.lex for a bucket that was manually restored? (And is this possible to do for buckets created by Splunk 3.x)?

Background info: I had some buckets with very bad date ranges--a few single buckets with hundreds or thousands of days. (This problem was mostly my own fault from back in the Splunk 3.4.x days.) So I wrote a couple of small script to rebuild those my buckets into more reasonable time slices. But the buckets created with importtool don't have the merged_lexicon.lex file, which I would like to create.

Tags (2)
0 Karma
2 Solutions

Ledion_Bitincka
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee
splunk-optimize-lex -d <bucket-dir>

View solution in original post

0 Karma

Lowell
Super Champion

touch <bucket-dir>/optimize.result

Anyone know if this is a bug, or if optimize.result should be created by some other process before splunk-optimize-lex should be run?

View solution in original post

Lowell
Super Champion

touch <bucket-dir>/optimize.result

Anyone know if this is a bug, or if optimize.result should be created by some other process before splunk-optimize-lex should be run?

Ledion_Bitincka
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

when a bucket is moved from hot to warm splunk runs a splunk-optimize which generates the optimize.result file followed by splunk-optimize-lex. The reason splunk-optimize-lex waits for a optimize.result is that it can only operate on optimized buckets.

Ledion_Bitincka
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee
0 Karma

Lowell
Super Champion

That's what I thought, but it never seemed to work for me. But I think I found the problem. It appears that splunk-optimize-lex waits for optimize.result to exist first.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

More Ways To Control Your Costs With Archived Metrics | Register for Tech Talk

Tuesday, May 14, 2024  |  11AM PT / 2PM ET Register to Attend Join us for this Tech Talk and learn how to ...

.conf24 | Personalize your .conf experience with Learning Paths!

Personalize your .conf24 Experience Learning paths allow you to level up your skill sets and dive deeper ...

Threat Hunting Unlocked: How to Uplevel Your Threat Hunting With the PEAK Framework ...

WATCH NOWAs AI starts tackling low level alerts, it's more critical than ever to uplevel your threat hunting ...