Dashboards & Visualizations

How to make the _time from the source path?

power12
Communicator

I have the following source path which I am monitoring..I want splunk to use the _time from the source file.

/a/host*/ads/stdout.230621-125941

Thanks in Advance

Labels (1)
0 Karma
1 Solution

isoutamo
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust
As I expecting that century is 20xx, you should use %Y instead of %y on strptime function.

View solution in original post

power12
Communicator

Thank you it worked

0 Karma

power12
Communicator

@isoutamo  Thank you so much for you reply. I tried the below but I am not sure what mistake I am doing

| makeresults 
| eval source="/logs/abc*/mods/stdout.230626-203719" 
| fields - _time
``` above set test data ```
| eval _time = strptime(replace(source, ".*\/stdout.(\d{6}\-\d{6}).*","\1") + tostring(random() % 86400,"duration"),"%Y%m%d%H:%M:%S")

0 Karma

isoutamo
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Your replace seems to be incorrect. It should be something like 

| eval _time = strptime(replace(source, ".*/stdout.(\d{6}-\d{6}).*","20\1"),"%y%m%d-%H%M%S")

0 Karma

power12
Communicator

@isoutamo  This is what I used and I dont see _time field

| makeresults 
| eval source="/svc-logs/hostabc/mods/stdout.230626-203719" 
| fields - _time
| eval _time = strptime(replace(source, ".*/stdout.(\d{6}-\d{6}).*","20\1"),"%y%m%d-%H%M%S")
0 Karma

isoutamo
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust
This _time is on your Time field on this event. Actually you should remove “| fields - _time” if you didn’t see Time on this one event.
Above is just test to get correct version for INGEST_EVAL expression to transforms.conf.
0 Karma

power12
Communicator

I get the below

power12_0-1687884962412.png

| makeresults
| eval source="/svc-logs/hostabc/mods/stdout.230626-203719"

0 Karma

isoutamo
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust
As I expecting that century is 20xx, you should use %Y instead of %y on strptime function.

power12
Communicator

@isoutamo 

I Added below conf...but somehow the data still did not take the source path time.Is there other steps I need to add
props.conf

[< sourcetype name>]
TRANSFORMS-set_time = set_time_from_source_path

Added below in transforms.conf

[set_time_from_file_path]
INGEST_EVAL = _time = strptime(replace(source, ".*/stdout.(\d{6}-\d{6}).*","20\1"),"%Y%m%d-%H%M%S")

0 Karma

isoutamo
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust
Was it typo or are those name different on your conf files?
0 Karma

power12
Communicator

I tried this as well

[< sourcetype name>]
TRANSFORMS-set_time = set_time_from_file_path

Added below in transforms.conf

[set_time_from_file_path]
INGEST_EVAL = _time = strptime(replace(source, ".*/stdout.(\d{6}-\d{6}).*","20\1"),"%Y%m%d-%H%M%S")

Should we have the "set_time" extension after the TRANSFORMS

0 Karma

isoutamo
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

That should works. Have you restarted splunk and then remember that this is applied only a new ingested events, not for those which are already indexed.

0 Karma

power12
Communicator

Yes...I did restart splunk after applying that...I tried mimicking the same on my local.

I went to my local (C:\Program Files\Splunk\etc\apps\search\local) where I set the transforms to be

[set_time_from_source_path]

and in the props.

[sourcetime]
LINE_BREAKER = ([\r\n]+)
NO_BINARY_CHECK = true
SHOULD_LINEMERGE = false
category = Custom
disabled = false
pulldown_type = true
TRANSFORMS-set_time = set_time_from_source_path

Restarted>

Then from WEB UI--->ADD DATA -->SELECTED FILE (_svc-logs_hostbac_mods_stdout.230629-053900) -->selected sourcetype (sourcetime) to see the preview I get errors(attached) that its failed to parse time

power12_0-1688058446136.png

0 Karma

isoutamo
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

On your example the source was “foo/bar/stdout.230629-123456” and now you are trying to use source “foo.bar.stdout.230629-123456”. Obviously that doesn’t match our regex on replace function. You must fix that to match your real source path!

0 Karma

power12
Communicator

In the regex  its looking for .*/stdout so even if its _ or . ..it matches everything until stdout right

0 Karma

isoutamo
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust
It match everything before “/stdout…..” and you have “_stdout….” which obviously doesn’t match that.
So you must remove that / from regexp, then it should work.
https://regex101.com/ Is good place to test those.
0 Karma

power12
Communicator

I can try that but I am testing on my windows local splunk installed trying to do the same from 

C:\Users\vv\OneDrive-xx\Pictures\svc-logs\hostabc\mods\stdout.230629-081216.txt for this I changed it to 

[set_time_from_source_path]
INGEST_EVAL = _time = strptime(replace(source, ".*\\stdout.(\d{6}-\d{6}).*","20\1"),"%Y%m%d-%H%M%S")

This also did not work.

I am assuming something with "20\1"..how do we change that..Can you please let me know what should be changed for this case

0 Karma

isoutamo
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

You need just change this

INGEST_EVAL = _time = strptime(replace(source, ".*stdout.(\d{6}-\d{6}).*","20\1"),"%Y%m%d-%H%M%S")

then it works both windows and Linux.

When you are escaping \, the amount of needed \ is depending where you are using it (props, rex, …). Good rule of thumb is start with one and adding those as many as needed (sometimes until 4-6 is needed).

0 Karma

power12
Communicator

Ya even tried that but somehow it says "could not use regex to parse timestamp from source::source::C:\Users\vv\OneDrive-xx\Pictures\svc-logs\hostabc\mods\stdou."

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Introducing the Splunk Community Dashboard Challenge!

Welcome to Splunk Community Dashboard Challenge! This is your chance to showcase your skills in creating ...

Get the T-shirt to Prove You Survived Splunk University Bootcamp

As if Splunk University, in Las Vegas, in-person, with three days of bootcamps and labs weren’t enough, now ...

Wondering How to Build Resiliency in the Cloud?

IT leaders are choosing Splunk Cloud as an ideal cloud transformation platform to drive business resilience,  ...