Alerting

Search to discover events indexed with incorrect TZ offset?

the_wolverine
Champion

I want to set up an alert for when we start receiving events that are > 30 minutes off the idxtime. This would indicate a possible issue with TZ offset (perhaps the server admin changed the TZ without informing the Splunk admin.)

Anyone have such a search available?

0 Karma
1 Solution

the_wolverine
Champion

I use the following query:

index=* | eval lag=_time-_indextime | search lag>1000 OR lag<-1000 | convert ctime(_indextime) as idxtime |  stats latest(_time) , latest(idxtime) , max(lag) as lag by index,host,source | rangemap field=lag EST="9000-10000" MST="2000-4000" CST="5000-7000" PST="-1000-1000" | rename range as TZ

I've approximated the ranges but it gets it close enough. This is more to catch hosts sending events in their local time without a TZ specified but it can also catch hosts that are not NTP-synced.

View solution in original post

the_wolverine
Champion

I use the following query:

index=* | eval lag=_time-_indextime | search lag>1000 OR lag<-1000 | convert ctime(_indextime) as idxtime |  stats latest(_time) , latest(idxtime) , max(lag) as lag by index,host,source | rangemap field=lag EST="9000-10000" MST="2000-4000" CST="5000-7000" PST="-1000-1000" | rename range as TZ

I've approximated the ranges but it gets it close enough. This is more to catch hosts sending events in their local time without a TZ specified but it can also catch hosts that are not NTP-synced.

Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Stay Connected: Your Guide to May Tech Talks, Office Hours, and Webinars!

Take a look below to explore our upcoming Community Office Hours, Tech Talks, and Webinars this month. This ...

They're back! Join the SplunkTrust and MVP at .conf24

With our highly anticipated annual conference, .conf, comes the fez-wearers you can trust! The SplunkTrust, as ...

Enterprise Security Content Update (ESCU) | New Releases

Last month, the Splunk Threat Research Team had two releases of new security content via the Enterprise ...