Alerting

Alert Script is not running?

shreyasj

I created an alert, it is working fine. When I echo into a "echo_output.sh" file, it works fine. When I'm trying to echo the same content on the console, nothing happens. When I manually execute the file ( instead of, from the splunk) it runs as expected.

Here is the link for another question, this question also has the same issue as my question.
http://answers.splunk.com/answers/92958/alert-script-not-running-splunk.html

I hope to get some help soon.

0 Karma

Yasaswy
Contributor

Hi, Splunk will launch scripts from within it's runtime env. Does your scripts run if you run them from splunk cmd line?

cd  to splunk_home (wherever splunk is installed)
    cd bin
    ./splunk cmd path_to_your_script/echo_output.sh
0 Karma

shreyasj

Yes, I just checked. I get the expected output when I use "./splunk cmd path_to_your_script/echo_output.sh"

0 Karma

Yasaswy
Contributor

Ok. I might have misunderstood your question. Are to trying to send off an alert to STDOUT from within splunk (using splunk scheduler)?

0 Karma

shreyasj

I want to disable the input from the console when an alert is generated.

For disabling the output, I need to "cd to the directory" where input.conf file is present and change the "disable=false" to true. I want to do this using the script which runs when I get an alert. I need my script to work on the console.

0 Karma

Yasaswy
Contributor

If your use case is to disable an input (x) on a triggered alert (y)... are you using generic cmds to make this change (sed,awk etc ) or splunk CLI?
You are essentially trying to change a config that is already active within the session. Typically making such a change via CLI (eg: splunk edit monitor) would prompt for user and password. Additionally you need to have a way to reload the config after your change. Were you planning on use a REST call for this?

0 Karma

starcher
Influencer

Do you have the hashbang at the top of your script?

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

More Ways To Control Your Costs With Archived Metrics | Register for Tech Talk

Tuesday, May 14, 2024  |  11AM PT / 2PM ET Register to Attend Join us for this Tech Talk and learn how to ...

.conf24 | Personalize your .conf experience with Learning Paths!

Personalize your .conf24 Experience Learning paths allow you to level up your skill sets and dive deeper ...

Threat Hunting Unlocked: How to Uplevel Your Threat Hunting With the PEAK Framework ...

WATCH NOWAs AI starts tackling low level alerts, it's more critical than ever to uplevel your threat hunting ...