Splunk Search

splunk subsearch question

splunk_novice99
Explorer

Hello, Im trying to use the data from one search in another search.  

This is what I'm trying to do:-
index=index_example  sourcetype=sourcetype_example
|chart count by Status
|eval output=(count/ [index=index_example  sourcetype=sourcetype_example |stats count] *100)

In the eval I just want [index=index_example  sourcetype=sourcetype_example |stats count] to be a single whole number

Labels (1)
0 Karma

yuanliu
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

In the eval I just want [index=index_example  sourcetype=sourcetype_example |stats count] to be a single whole number

First, this is not what subsearch is for.  A subsearch populates a group of fields, not outputs a single value.  If you use format command to view its actual output,

index=index_example  sourcetype=sourcetype_example |stats count |format

you will see that it is equivalent to "count=86" or whatever the count is.

Second, the subsearch retrieves the same set of events as the main search.  This is very wasteful.  It would be much more productive to present the problem you are trying to solve than focusing on a particular search command.

Let me take a wild guess: You want to calculate percentage of count by status in total count.  Is this correct?  There are many ways to achieve this.  None of them requires subsearch of same events.  This is an example.

index=index_example  sourcetype=sourcetype_example
|chart count by Status
| eventstats sum(count) as total
| eval output =  count / total * 100
| fields - total

Tags (1)

splunk_novice99
Explorer

Hi Yuanliu,

Yes, you're absolutely right, I do want to calculate percentage of count by status in total count.

Thanks for your reply. I actually got there in the end using a subsearch but I see now this is not the correct way of doing things.  Your solution is obviously much more elegant so I'll be using that.  🙂

Thanks also for taking time to explain the correct use case for a subsearch.

Tags (1)
0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Introducing the Splunk Community Dashboard Challenge!

Welcome to Splunk Community Dashboard Challenge! This is your chance to showcase your skills in creating ...

Wondering How to Build Resiliency in the Cloud?

IT leaders are choosing Splunk Cloud as an ideal cloud transformation platform to drive business resilience,  ...

Updated Data Management and AWS GDI Inventory in Splunk Observability

We’re making some changes to Data Management and Infrastructure Inventory for AWS. The Data Management page, ...