Splunk Search

search urlencoded string not working

stephen1h

I have created a regex search that can search strings in a field, but it is slow. Is there a way that I can search a string without having to use regex for specific urlencoded data?

For instance. I can do:

*| regex "\%[0-9a-fA-F]{2}"

night and day, but a combination of that regex is slow.

I know specific strings of urlencoded data that I want to match on. When I do a search on that data (for instance "%2F%63%67%69%2D%62%69%6E%2F" or "\%2F\%63\%67\%69\%2D\%62\%69\%6E\%2F", I see in the inspector that my search has been changed. The percent signs are now spaces like the following: "[ AND 2d 2f 62 63 67 69 6e index::main ]" ... It looks like my urlencoded data is being split on the percent sign, sorted, and then searched.... How do I get it to treat it like a string and leave it alone and search for my explicit string?

Thanks...

Tags (3)
0 Karma

stephen1h

The answer is to do CASE("%2F%63%67%69%2D%62%69%6E%2F") ... then splunk stops doing odd things with the text and matches strings in fields quickly. I think this is a hack though. It is also blazingly fast to use in a search compared to using the | regex ....

0 Karma

Ayn
Legend

I'm guessing you meant TERM()?

0 Karma

jtrucks
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

CASE() is often a speed killer on a search, so use it with caution. Unless the regex is looking at the url encoding format specifically, it's not the best plan really.

--
Jesse Trucks
Minister of Magic
0 Karma

jtrucks
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

Look at the docs for Functions for eval and where. Second to the last entry in the table is urldecode(). The description is:

This function takes one URL string argument X and returns the unescaped or decoded URL string.

The example is:

... | eval n=urldecode("http%3A%2F%2Fwww.splunk.com%2Fdownload%3Fr%3Dheader")

The result would be that n is "http://www.splunk.com/download?r=header".

For your use, insert

… | eval newfield=urldecode(yourfield) | …

and then do your regex.

--
Jesse Trucks
Minister of Magic
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

More Ways To Control Your Costs With Archived Metrics | Register for Tech Talk

Tuesday, May 14, 2024  |  11AM PT / 2PM ET Register to Attend Join us for this Tech Talk and learn how to ...

.conf24 | Personalize your .conf experience with Learning Paths!

Personalize your .conf24 Experience Learning paths allow you to level up your skill sets and dive deeper ...

Threat Hunting Unlocked: How to Uplevel Your Threat Hunting With the PEAK Framework ...

WATCH NOWAs AI starts tackling low level alerts, it's more critical than ever to uplevel your threat hunting ...