Splunk Search

return a list from subsearch and use it in main search. return not properly formatted

zebraslunker
Loves-to-Learn

i have a splunk query below that returns me 

( ( ( list_value2="dev1" OR list_value2="dev2" OR list_value2="dev5" OR list_value2="dev6" ) ) )

i want to use this 4 values as a list to query using IN operation from another main search as show in the second code snippet.

```

index=main label=y userid=tom
| fields associateddev
| eval list_value = replace(associateddev,"{'","")
| eval list_value = replace(list_value,"'}","")
| eval list_value = split(list_value,"', '")
| mvexpand list_value
| stats values(list_value) as list_value2
| format

```

i want to use the results from this as part of a subsearch to query another source as shown below. ideally, the subsearch will return me a list that i can just call using | where hname IN list_value2. But list_value2 is returning me this ( ( ( list_value2="dev1" OR list_value2="dev2" OR list_value2="dev5" OR list_value2="dev6" ) ) ) weird string.
```

index="main" label=x
| where hname IN [search index=main label=y userid=tom
| fields associateddev
| mvexpand list_value
| stats values(list_value) as list_value2]
| table _time, hname, list_value2

```

i have tried 
| stats values(list_value) as search
| format mvsep="," "" "" "" "" "" ""]

but i still get the error: Error in 'search' command: Unable to parse the search: Right hand side of IN must be a collection of literals. '(dev1 dev2 dev5 dev6)' is not a literal.

Labels (3)
Tags (1)
0 Karma

richgalloway
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

The IN operator maps to a series of OR operators (check the Job Inspector) so forcing a set of OR operators into IN-compatible form is a wasted effort.

---
If this reply helps you, Karma would be appreciated.
0 Karma

zebraslunker
Loves-to-Learn

Noted on that, but, this throws me an Error in 'where' command: The expression is malformed. Expected ). 

index="main" label=x source="C:\\Users\\me\\Documents\\test22.csv"
| eval hm = replace(hostname,",","")
| where hm IN ([search index=main label=y userid=tom
| fields associateddev
| mvexpand list_value
| stats values(list_value) as search])

but this works assuming i dont do any operations to hostname column. is it possible to insert some eval on hostname before doing the IN operation? 

index="main" label=x source="C:\\Users\\me\\Documents\\test22.csv" hostname IN ([search index=main label=y userid=tom
| fields associateddev
| mvexpand list_value
| stats values(list_value) as search])

0 Karma

richgalloway
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

The where command does not support the IN operator.  It does support the in function, which has a different syntax.

The point of my original reply to say that extra code to force a set of values into a comma-separated list for the benefit of the IN operator is wasted effort.  The interpreter is just going to convert that comma-separated list into a series of OR operators so you might well just take the raw result from the subsearch (without usingIN).

---
If this reply helps you, Karma would be appreciated.
0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Modern way of developing distributed application using OTel

Recently, I had the opportunity to work on a complex microservice using Spring boot and Quarkus to develop a ...

Enterprise Security Content Update (ESCU) | New Releases

Last month, the Splunk Threat Research Team had 3 releases of new security content via the Enterprise Security ...

Archived Metrics Now Available for APAC and EMEA realms

We’re excited to announce the launch of Archived Metrics in Splunk Infrastructure Monitoring for our customers ...