Splunk Search

how to configure field extractor for a single source file only

sumituv

Hi,

I am configuring Field Extractor to extract fields from a single files directly from events>action>extract fields.

However the same has been getting applied for other csv files as well which is creating conflicts.

If I do this from settings>field extractor then splunk is not extracting events for the source name i have put there in Source name field.

Kindly assist.

0 Karma

sumituv

The app local props.conf file is getting changed.

I repeat my requirement here:

I have configured C:\test\ for monitoring in Splunk

I have different folders under C:\test like
C:\test\test1
c:\test\test2

I want have a field extractor which extracts fields from files stored in C:\test\test1 folder only.

All files are in csv format.

If I configure field extractor directly from event actions menu, it is getting applied for all csv files in the C:\test folder which is creating conflicts.

I checked in props.conf file then I found below commands added which clearly tells SPLUNK to extract fields for all csv files.

Kindly assist me how can I restrict the field extraction.

[csv]
EXTRACT-Date,Computer,IP,Product,Action,Result =\d+\t(?P[^\t]+)\t(?P[^\t]+)\t(?P\d+.\d+.\d+.\d+)\t(?P\w+)\t(?P\w+\s+\w+)[^\t\n]*\t(?P[^\t]+)

0 Karma

ddrillic
Ultra Champion

Interesting. After running the field extractor feature from the UI, can you find which props.conf file got changed?

You can run - find . -name props.conf | xargs ls -ltr from the Splunk home directory...

And then, what was the change?

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

More Ways To Control Your Costs With Archived Metrics | Register for Tech Talk

Tuesday, May 14, 2024  |  11AM PT / 2PM ET Register to Attend Join us for this Tech Talk and learn how to ...

.conf24 | Personalize your .conf experience with Learning Paths!

Personalize your .conf24 Experience Learning paths allow you to level up your skill sets and dive deeper ...

Threat Hunting Unlocked: How to Uplevel Your Threat Hunting With the PEAK Framework ...

WATCH NOWAs AI starts tackling low level alerts, it's more critical than ever to uplevel your threat hunting ...