Splunk Search

eval parsing issue?

mwibowo1

index=xyz CurrentAgentSnapshot.Contacts{}.State=ENDED | table CurrentAgentSnapshot.Contacts{}.StartTime There is no issue with this.
but it gives me error when i try to do eval x = CurrentAgentSnapshot.Contacts{}.StartTime (the error is Error in 'eval' command: The expression is malformed.)

I need to do some calculation using eval on some of the variables CurrentAgentSnapshot.Contacts{}.variables .. such as
eval startTime = strptime(CurrentAgentSnapshot.Contacts{}.StartTime, "%Y-%m-%dT%H:%M:%S.%3N") |
eval endTime = strptime(CurrentAgentSnapshot.Contacts{}.EndTime, "%Y-%m-%dT%H:%M:%S.%3N") |
eval diff = tostring((endTime - startTime), "duration")

Tags (1)
0 Karma

somesoni2
Revered Legend

Your field names contains special characters (dot, curly braces) so you need to enclose them in single quotes when using it on right side of expressions in eval (or in where clause). Try like this

index=xyz CurrentAgentSnapshot.Contacts{}.State=ENDED|
eval startTime = strptime('CurrentAgentSnapshot.Contacts{}.StartTime', "%Y-%m-%dT%H:%M:%S.%3N") |
eval endTime = strptime('CurrentAgentSnapshot.Contacts{}.EndTime', "%Y-%m-%dT%H:%M:%S.%3N") | 
eval diff = tostring((endTime - startTime), "duration") 

mwibowo1

thanks - that works... also | rename CurrentAgentSnapshot.Contacts{}.StartTime as StartTime works as well (just to share the knowledge)

0 Karma

HiroshiSatoh
Champion

I do not know whether it is a bug or specification
It is a workaround.

Even if you set the field name "{}", "{}" seems to have been deleted, so delete "{}" if you use it with EVAL.
Please do not forget to enclose it with a single quotation.

| makeresults | eval CurrentAgentSnapshot.Contacts{}.StartTime="2018-05-24T01:02:03.004"
| eval startTime = strptime('CurrentAgentSnapshot.Contacts.StartTime', "%Y-%m-%dT%H:%M:%S.%3N")

0 Karma

mwibowo1

sorry - the workaround does not work... i try to remove the {} but the result does not show up..

0 Karma

HiroshiSatoh
Champion

I fixed the answer. Instead of deleting from the field name, delete it when using it with EVAL.

0 Karma

mwibowo1

sorry - i cannot delete the {} , the data does not show up.

0 Karma

mwibowo1

it seems like the eval operation cannot parse the json array {} .. please help

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Detecting Remote Code Executions With the Splunk Threat Research Team

REGISTER NOWRemote code execution (RCE) vulnerabilities pose a significant risk to organizations. If ...

Observability | Use Synthetic Monitoring for Website Metadata Verification

If you are on Splunk Observability Cloud, you may already have Synthetic Monitoringin your observability ...

More Ways To Control Your Costs With Archived Metrics | Register for Tech Talk

Tuesday, May 14, 2024  |  11AM PT / 2PM ET Register to Attend Join us for this Tech Talk and learn how to ...