Splunk Search

cumulative sum

avishni01
Explorer

Hello

I have events that include a field of username ( and of course _time) .I would like to count how many users were added each month, but there are times with no new users were created. 

I can find the first appearance of each user using

Stats min(_time) by username

And then I can use timechart to count new users by month and streamstats to get the cumulative sum.

I have found how to fill the gaps if there were no new users during a month m by using the makecontinues command. what i didn't figure yet is how to fill the period before the first user creation and since the last time a user was created , until today .

| timechart span=1mon count(username) as users
| makecontinues  spam=1mon _time
| fillnull
| streamstats sum(users)  as com

thanks for the help

Labels (1)
0 Karma

ITWhisperer
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Timechart already fills the gaps including before and after based on the time range from the timepicker / earliest and latest, so you should just be able to use streamstats after timechart.

| timechart span=1mon count(username) as users
| streamstats sum(users)  as com
0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Stay Connected: Your Guide to May Tech Talks, Office Hours, and Webinars!

Take a look below to explore our upcoming Community Office Hours, Tech Talks, and Webinars this month. This ...

They're back! Join the SplunkTrust and MVP at .conf24

With our highly anticipated annual conference, .conf, comes the fez-wearers you can trust! The SplunkTrust, as ...

Enterprise Security Content Update (ESCU) | New Releases

Last month, the Splunk Threat Research Team had two releases of new security content via the Enterprise ...